We, as a country, need to make changes
Every step of the way, a woman faces challenges to safely and affordably access health care. Providing access to insurance coverage for 12 months postpartum can help to decrease our country’s rising maternal mortality and morbidity rates.
Congresswoman Robin Kelly (D-IL) and Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) have introduced the MOMMA Act (H.R. 1897/S. 916) to help address the rising maternal mortality rate.
This Act would:
- Expand Medicaid coverage to 1 year postpartum.
- Work with the CDC to uniformly collect data to accurately assess maternal mortality and morbidity.
- Ensure the sharing of best practices of care across hospital systems.
- Focus on culturally-competent care to address implicit bias among health care workers.
- Support and expand the Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health (AIM)—a data-driven initiative to implement safety protocols in hospitals across the country.
To call or contact your representative to co-sponsor this bill, click