- The SIRs for site-specific gastrointestinal cancers were as follows:
- Small bowel: SIR= 18.94 (P less than .0001).
- Colon: SIR = 10.91 (P less than .0001).
- Biliary tract: SIR = 17.87 (P less than .0001).
- Pancreas: SIR = 6.18 (P = .022).
The investigators recommend screening for gastrointestinal cancers in patients with CF in general, and especially for patients who have undergone lung transplantation and are receiving immunosuppressive therapies.
Because of the elevated risk of pancreatic and biliary tract cancers, the authors propose a screening program including magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography, endoscopic ultrasound, or abdominal ultrasound and measurement of cancer antigen 19-9.
The authors reported that the study had no funding source, and they declared no competing interests.
SOURCE: Yamada A et al. Lancet Oncol. 2018 Apr 26. doi: