Discontinuing a TKI
Dr. Kantarjian said patients can discontinue TKI therapy if they:
- Are low- or intermediate-risk by Sokal.
- Have quantifiable BCR-ABL transcripts.
- Are in chronic phase.
- Achieved an optimal response to their first TKI.
- Have been on TKI therapy for more than 8 years.
- Achieved a complete molecular response.
- Have had a molecular response for more than 2-3 years.
- Are available for monitoring every other month for the first 2 years.
Dr. Kantarjian did not report any conflicts of interest at the meeting. However, he has previously reported relationships with Novartis, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pfizer, and Ariad Pharmaceuticals.
The Leukemia and Lymphoma meeting is organized by Jonathan Wood & Association, which is owned by the parent company of this news organization.