Mr. K is poorly compliant with his psychotropics, which include divalproex, 1,000 mg/d, and olanzapine, 30 mg/d. Although he is discharged home with his family, his functional capacity is less than expected and he requires continuous support. Insisting that Mr. K abstain from steroids after the first psychiatric hospitalization might have prevented this seemingly irreversible dementia.
- Sacks O, Shulman M. Steroid dementia: an overlooked diagnosis? Neurology. 2005;64(4):707-709.
- Cipriani G, Picchi L, Vedovello M, et al. Reversible dementia from corticosteroid therapy. Clinical Geriatrics. 2012;20(7):38-41.
Drug Brand Names
- Diphenhydramine • Benadryl
- Divalproex • Depakote
- Haloperidol • Haldol
- Lamotrigine • Lamictal
- Lithium • Eskalith, Lithobid
- Lorazepam • Ativan
- Memantine • Namenda
- Methotrexate • Rheumatrex, Trexall
- Mirtazapine • Remeron
- Olanzapine • Zyprexa
- Prednisone • Deltasone, Meticorten, others
The authors report no financial relationship with any company whose products are mentioned in this article or with manufacturers of competing products.