McLean Hospital claimed the top spot in the 2022-2023 ranking as well.
Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston holds the No. 2 spot in the 2023-2024 U.S. News ranking for best psychiatry hospitals, up from No. 3 in 2022-2023.
New York–Presbyterian Hospital–Columbia and Cornell sits at No. 3 in 2023-2024, up from No. 4 in 2022-2023, while Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore is ranked No. 4, down from No. 2.
Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at the University of California, Los Angeles, is ranked No. 5 in 2023-2024 (up from No. 6 in 2022-2023), while UCSF Health–UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco, dropped to No. 6 in 2023-2024 (from No. 5 in 2022-2023).
No. 7 in 2023-2024 is Menninger Clinic, Houston, which held the No. 10 spot in 2022-2023.
According to U.S. News, the psychiatry rating is based on the expert opinion of surveyed psychiatrists. The seven ranked hospitals in psychiatry or psychiatric care were recommended by at least 5% of the psychiatric specialists responding to the magazine’s surveys in 2021, 2022, and 2023 as a facility where they would refer their patients.
“Consumers want useful resources to help them assess which hospital can best meet their specific care needs,” Ben Harder, chief of health analysis and managing editor at U.S. News, said in a statement.
“The 2023-2024 Best Hospitals rankings offer patients and the physicians with whom they consult a data-driven source for comparing performance in outcomes, patient satisfaction, and other metrics that matter to them,” Mr. Harder said.
This year, as in prior years, U.S. News also recognized “honor roll” hospitals that have excelled across multiple areas of care. However, in 2023-2024, for the first time, there is no ordinal ranking of hospitals making the honor roll. Instead, they are listed in alphabetical order.
In a letter to hospital leaders, U.S. News explained that the major change in format came after months of deliberation, feedback from health care organizations and professionals, and an analysis of how consumers navigate the magazine’s website.
Ordinal ranking of hospitals that make the honor roll “obscures the fact that all of the Honor Roll hospitals have attained the highest standard of care in the nation,” the letter reads.
With the new format, honor roll hospitals are listed in alphabetical order. In 2023-2024 there are 22.
2023-2024 Honor Roll Hospitals
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
- Cleveland Clinic
- Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania–Penn Medicine, Philadelphia
- Houston Methodist Hospital
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
- New York–Presbyterian Hospital–Columbia and Cornell
- North Shore University Hospital at Northwell Health, Manhasset, N.Y.
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
- NYU Langone Hospitals, New York
- Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
- Stanford (Calif.) Health Care–Stanford Hospital
- UC San Diego Health–La Jolla and Hillcrest Hospitals
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
- UCSF Health–UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
- University of Michigan Health–Ann Arbor
- UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenn.