Dr. Safer is executive director, Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery, Mount Sinai Health System and Icahn School of Medicine, New York.
1. Coleman E et al. Standards of care for the health of transsexual, transgender, and gender-nonconforming people, Version 7..
2. Hembree WC et al. Endocrine treatment of gender-dysphoric/gender-incongruent persons: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline..
3. Safer JD et al. Barriers to healthcare for transgender individuals..
4. Flores AR et al. How many adults identify as transgender in the United States?. 2017 Jun. Los Angeles, Calif. (Accessed on Oct. 30, 2018).
5. Irwig MS. Transgender care by endocrinologists in the United States..
6. White W et al. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender patient care: Medical students’ preparedness and comfort..
7. Chan B et al. Gaps in transgender medicine content identified among Canadian medical school curricula..
8. Liang JJ et al. Observed deficiencies in medical student knowledge of transgender and intersex health..
9. Park JA et al. Clinical exposure to transgender medicine improves students’ preparedness above levels seen with didactic teaching alone: A key addition to the Boston University model for teaching transgender healthcare..
10. Eriksson SE et al. Evidence-based curricular content improves student knowledge and changes attitudes towards transgender medicine..
11. Safer JD et al. A simple curriculum content change increased medical student comfort with transgender medicine..
12. Morrison SD et al. Transgender-related education in plastic surgery and urology residency programs..