Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) appears to be well tolerated and can effectively treat renal cell carcinoma, according to a study involving 223 individuals. Moreover, those who receive single-fraction SABR seem to have a lower risk of distant progression and death. Participants averaged 72 years of age, were from 9 international registries, and received either single- (n=118) or multi- (n=105) fraction SABR. Investigators looked at survival according to patient, tumor, and treatment characteristics. Among the results:
- 36% of patients experienced grade 1/2 toxicities; 1% had grade 3/4 toxicities.
- 98% experienced local control at 2 years; cancer-specific and progression-free survival rates were 96% and 77%, respectively.
- These rates at 4 years were 98%, 92%, and 65%, respectively.
- Patients with larger tumors were 16% more likely to experience poor progression-free survival; they were 28% more likely to have poor cancer-specific survival.
- Those receiving multifraction SABR were also more likely to experience these outcomes (13% and 33%, respectively).
Siva S, Louie A, Warner A, et al. Pooled analysis of stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for primary renal cell carcinoma: A report from the International Radiosurgery Oncology Consortium for Kidney (IROCK). [Published online ahead of print December 20, 2017]. Cancer. doi:10.1002/cncr.31156.
This Week's Must Reads
Does Integrated Delivery Treatment Impact Cost? , J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 13; Kaye, Min, et al
Anticancer Agent Dose Rounding Cost Impact Assessed, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 5; Fahrenbruch, et al
Employment in Patients with Early-Stage BC Studied , Cancer; ePub 2018 Feb 13; Ekenga, Pérez, et al
Program’s Impact on CRC Screening in Uninsured , Cancer; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Eberth, Thibault, et al
Charting the Landscape of Oncology Pathway Vendors , J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Daly, Zon, et al
Must Reads in Renal Cell Carcinoma
Predicting RCC Outcomes After Surgery , Eur Urol; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Leibovich, et al
Partial vs Radical Nephrectomy Impact on Survival , Eur Urol Focus; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Marchioni, et al
Robotic Partial Nephrectomy for Large Renal Masses , BJU Int; ePub 2018 Jan 22; Delto, Paulucci, et al
Trends Examined in the Reporting of RCC Subtypes, Hum Pathol; ePub 2018 Jan 12; Gansler, et al
VEGFR Therapy’s Role in Reducing RCC Progression , Curr Med Res Opin; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Tannir, et al