The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) announces two Community Surgeons Travel Awards for surgeons ages 30 to 50. These $4,000 awards allow international surgeons to participate in the annual ACS Clinical Congress. Surgeons who work in community or regional hospitals or clinics in countries other than the U.S. and Canada or who are from struggling academic departments of surgery in low- or middle-income countries are eligible for the awards. Candidates from Southeast Asia will receive preference in this cycle. The office of the International Liaison must receive all applications and supporting documents for these awards before July 1, 2013.
Each awardee will receive gratis registration to the Clinical Congress and to one available Clinical Congress postgraduate course. The College will help awardees find affordable hotel in the Clinical Congress host city. The 2014 Clinical Congress will take place in San Francisco, CA, October 26-30.The scholarship requirements are:
• Applicants must be graduates of medical schools.
• Age requirement refers to the date of the filing of the completed application.
• Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
• Applicants must show evidence of commitment to high-quality surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to surgical care in their community.
• Applicants must submit an online fully completed application form provided by the College. The application and accompanying materials must be typewritten and in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is insufficient
Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in North America.
Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three (3) of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or an ACS Fellow residing in their country. The letter from the chair or Fellow should directly address the applicant’s commitment to high-quality surgery, surgical teaching, improved access to surgical care locally. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the persons making the recommendations.
The Community Surgeons Travel Awards must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
Awardees must provide a written report upon their return home, specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect to patients in the country of origin.
Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College, together with new supporting documentation.
To be considered by the selection committee, applicants must fulfill all requirements.
Find the application for the Community Surgeons Travel Award on the ACS website at http://www.facs.org/memberservices/community-travel.html.
Direct supporting materials and questions to:
International Liaison Section
American College of Surgeons
633 N. Saint Clair St.
Chicago, IL 60611-3211
email@example.com or 312-202-5021 (facsimile)
All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2013. Please submit completed applications and supporting documents early to allow time for processing.