COVID-19 can have a negative impact on systems throughout the body, beyond just the lungs, according to a review published in Nature Medicine. Two authors of the review joined host David H. Henry, MD, to discuss their article, “Extrapulmonary manifestations of COVID-19.”
- ACE2, the entry receptor for SARS-CoV-2
- Neurologic and gastrointestinal manifestations of COVID-19
- Mechanisms of coagulation and thromboprophylaxis
- COVID-19 in cancer patients
- The impact of quarantine on cardiology patients
- The lasting effects of COVID-19 and the need for follow-up
- The importance of international collaboration for clinical trials.
For more details on how COVID-19 can affect the body, see the full review in Nature Medicine:
Dr. Henry and Dr. Sehgal have no financial disclosures relevant to this episode.
Dr. Gupta disclosed relationships with the Arnold & Porter Law Firm for work related to the Sanofi clopidogrel litigation, the Ben C. Martin Law Firm for work related to the Cook inferior vena cava filter litigation, Edward Lifesciences, and Heartbeat Health.
* * *
For more MDedge Podcasts, go to mdedge.com/podcasts
Email the show: [email protected]
Interact with us on Twitter: @MDedgehemonc
David Henry on Twitter: @davidhenrymd