You had plenty to say in response to our recent editorial on the HIV study, and our Instant Poll Online question about circumcision of newborns.
Some of your comments:
- Politics aside, circumcision improves hygiene and reduces STD transmission
- Not without anesthesia!!!
- Have ‘em match Dad, and use anesthetic!
- In women, it’s called genital mutilation. Daddy and son don’t match in our home!
- No unnecessary surgery!
- Manmade, and religion is blamed
- Circumcision is not just for cosmetic reasons; it is also for hygiene
- I do not “recommend” circumcision; I do offer the service for parents that request it
- Uncircumcised penis has been shown in many studies to be a major vector of STD
- It’s the parents’ personal choice
- Some proven benefits, but overall this surgery is done as a cosmetic alteration
- Patient consideration of MD recommendations has drastically changed!
- Culturally driven ritualistic mutilation
- Social event, no medical evidence
- Analgesia for neonatal circumcision
- Increasing evidence of STD transmission
Next month’s comments: “What is a practical target for hysterectomy approaches other than abdominal?”