US District Court
Within in 48 hours of birth, twin boys born at 24 weeks’ gestation died due to respiratory distress syndrome.
The mother claimed negligence, alleging that the obstetrician should have:
- performed a urinalysis and urine culture at her first prenatal visit,
- ordered a urinalysis and therapy for asymptomatic bacteria detected on urine dipstick testing,
- assessed her for preterm labor during an office visit, and
- provided medical therapy to prevent preterm birth.
- The jury awarded the plaintiff $225,000.