MS Briefs

60% of morbidity comes from 30% of patients with moderate-to-severe MS


 

Key clinical point : Patients with moderate-to-severe multiple sclerosis (MS) contribute substantially to the disease-related morbidity burden.

Major finding : Patients in asymptomatic and mild stages of MS represent 68.4% of the population and contribute to 39.8% of the MS-specific morbidity. The remaining 60.2% of the MS-specific morbidity comes from the 31.6% of patients in the moderate or severe disease stages.

Study details : The data come from an analysis of 1,412 patients with MS identified from the Swiss Multiple Sclerosis Registry.

Disclosures: The study was supported by the Swiss Multiple Sclerosis Society. Anke Salmen, Claudio Gobbi, Caroline Pot, Christian P. Kamm, Jens Kuhle, Pasquale Calabrese, Stefanie Müller, and Sven Schippling reported research support/speaker fees/speaker honoraria/travel support/consultancy fees/advisory fees from one or more pharmaceutical companies and/or organizations. The remaining authors declared no conflict of interest.

Citation: Kaufmann M et al. Front Neurol. 2020 Mar 6. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2020.00156 .

Next Article: