Superficial chemical peels performed in patients with Fitzpatrick skin types III-VI had a relatively low complication rate, while Fitzpatrick skin type VI had higher odds of experiencing an adverse event, a recent study found. In addition, side effects were noted to be less frequent during the winter months. Researchers sought to determine the frequency of side effects and complications associated with superficial chemical peels in patients with skin types III-VI. They performed a 5-year single center retrospective analysis and found:
- Of 473 chemical peel treatments included, 18 (3.8%) were associated with short-term (≤2 weeks) or long-term (>2 weeks) complications.
- The most frequent complications were crusting (2.3%), post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (1.9%), and erythema (1.9%).
- All side effects resolved within 8 months of treatment and were located on the face.
- When stratified by season, side effects were noted to be less common during the winter.
- In the adjusted model, Fitzpatrick skin type VI was associated with a higher odds of side effects.
Vemula S, Maymone MBC, Secemsky EA, et al. Assessing the safety of superficial chemical peels in darker skin: A retrospective study. [Published online ahead of print March 5, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.02.064.
This Week's Must Reads
Effect of Psoriasis-Affected Genotype Investigated, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 5; Lambert, et al
Itch Main Predictor of Poor Sleep in Psoriasis, Br J Dermatol; 2018 Dec; Jensen, et al
Serum Endocan: A Marker of Psoriasis Severity, Int J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 23; Elkamshoushi, et al
Psoriasis and Risk of Myocardial Infarction, J Euro Acad Dermatol Venereol; 2018 Dec; Leisner, et al
Topology of Psoriasis in Routine Care Evaluated, Br J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 14; Augustin, et al
Must Reads in Aesthetic Dermatology
Heat Modalities Compared in Telangiectasia Treatment, J Cosmet Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 17; Bush, Bush
Chemical Peels Show Excellent Clinical Efficacy, J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 2018 Aug 1; Soleymani, et al
Patient Motivations for Seeking Cosmetic Procedures, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Aug 15; Maisel, et al
Microneedling Treatment Improves Skin Aging, J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 2018 Aug 1; Ablon
Rejuvenation Procedure Proves Safe and Effective , Lasers Surg Med; ePub 2018 Aug 8; Knight, Kautz