The Role of the Frank E. Bunts Educational Institute in Graduate Medical Education
Because the postgraduate educational activities of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation are conducted under the name of The Frank E. Bunts Educational Institute, misunderstandings have arisen as to the relationship of the two organizations. It is hoped that these paragraphs will clarify this relationship.
After the death of Dr. Bunts, his family and friends and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation made funds available to found and maintain an organization of postgraduate medical training which was to be integrated with and staffed by the clinical and research divisions of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. The Frank E. Bunts Educational Institute was incorporated in 1935 under Ohio laws as a non-profit organization. Its purpose is to conduct postgraduate medical education, not only among the Fellows in training at the Cleveland Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic Hospital but also in the community of Greater Cleveland and in the country as a whole.
On July 1, 1950 120 physicians were enrolled in the fellowship training program of the Bunts Institute. Before acceptance they had all completed their internships and many had had one or more years of residency training before coming to the Cleveland Clinic. Almost all of these physicians were training for certification by the various specialty boards, including those of Surgery, Internal Medicine, Orthopedic Surgery, Urology, Neurosurgery, Radiology, Otolaryngology, Anesthesiology, Pathology, Neuropsychiatry, Ophthalmology, and Physical Medicine. The courses include not only clinical training but also instruction in basic sciences, a variety of clinical conferences and seminars, and practical demonstrations including dissection of cadavers and training. . .