The American College of Surgeons (ACS) is seeking eight Fellows to fill vacancies on the Commission on Cancer (CoC). The initial term of appointment is for three years with eligibility for re-election to a second term. Members may hold office or serve as a vice-chair of a committee or subcommittee during their second term. New members will be recommended by the Nominating Committee, selected in October by the Executive Committee, and then brought before the full CoC membership for approval at the CoC’s Annual Meeting. The ACS Board of Regents will confirm the final list of new members, and the CoC will announce the new members in late October.
Surgeons who meet the criteria below and are interested in becoming a member of the CoC should contact Lynda Watt at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an application. The completed application, curriculum vitae, and any letters of recommendation must be sent to Ms. Watt at the same address by Monday, September 1.
CoC member criteria include:
• Full ACS Fellowship status
• Staff appointment at a CoC-accredited cancer program and participation in cancer program activities
• Service as an effective State Chair or Cancer Liaison Physician
• Knowledge of the CoC’s goals and initiatives
• Representation of a surgical specialty, geographic area, or diverse group not currently represented on the CoC.
• Interest in contributing to and enhancing CoC programs and committee work
• Ability to serve as a member of at least one CoC committee.
• Attendance and participation in at least two in-person meetings annually
• Attendance and participation in committee conference calls.
Please contact Ms. Watt at email@example.com if you have any questions.