At the end of World War II, surgeons who had served during the conflict gathered at the Excelsior Hotel in Rome, Italy, to discuss their experiences. This meeting was the first of what would be called the Excelsior Surgical Society. These meetings continued annually until the death of the last World War II member, Michael E. DeBakey, MD, FACS.
Visit the society’sfor more information and to apply for membership.
In conjunction with Clinical Congress 2016, the Excelsior Surgical Society held a day-long meeting, with nearly 200 active and retired military surgeons, residents, and students in attendance. The meeting included discussion of the following topics:
• State of the Service addresses by the three General Surgery Consultants to the Army, Navy, and Air Force Surgeon Generals:
o COL Mary Edwards, MD, FACS (Army).
o CAPT Craig Shepps, MD, FACS (Navy).
o COL Gregory York, MD, FACS (Air Force).
• The John Pryor Annual Lectureship, delivered by retired Army COL Norman M. Rich, MD, FACS, department of surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) and the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC), Bethesda, Md.
• The Committee on Trauma Region 13 (Military Region) annual resident paper competition.
• Abstracts on various surgical topics submitted by surgeons from multiple military health care facilities across the country.
• Panel discussions on training and sustainment for surgeons in the military.
Election of Officers
At the business meeting, the following Excelsior Surgical Society Officers were elected:
• President: CAPT Eric Elster, MD, FACS, U.S. Navy, professor and chairman, department of surgery at USUHS and WRNMMC.
• Vice-President: COL Stacy Shackelford, MD, FACS, U.S. Air Force, deputy commander for clinical services/chief of the medical staff 455th Expeditionary Medical Dental Group, Craig Joint Theater Hospital Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan.
• Secretary: COL Robert B. Lim, MD, FACS, U.S. Army, chief, metabolic and advanced laparoscopic surgery, Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii.
• Treasurer: COL Kirby R. Gross, MD, FACS, U.S. Army, director, Army Trauma Training Center, University of Miami, Fla.
• Councilperson at Large, U.S. Army: COL Matthew Martin, MD, FACS, FASMBS, trauma medical director, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Wash.
• Councilperson at Large, U.S. Navy: CPT Gordon Wisbach, MD, FACS, staff surgeon, department of general surgery, Naval Medical Center San Diego, Calif.
• Councilperson at Large, U.S. Air Force: Col Joe DuBose, MD, FACS, vascular and trauma surgeon, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
• Councilperson at Large, Reserve/National Guard: COL Jay A. Johannigman, MD, FACS, director of the division of trauma and surgical critical care and professor of surgery at the University of Cincinnati, Ohio.
• Honorary Member: Dr. Rich, Leonard Heaton & David Packard Professor, founding chairman, department of surgery, USUHS and WRNMMC.