Surgeons who serve small communities are eligible to apply for the 2016 Nizar N. Oweida, MD, FACS, Scholarship of the American College of Surgeons (ACS). Completed applications are due December 15, 2015. The $5,000 Oweida Scholarship subsidizes the attendance of a Fellow or Associate Fellow to the annual ACS Clinical Congress.
This scholarship will help to defray travel expenses for the Clinical Congress, including Postgraduate Course fees, hotel costs, and per diem expenses. The scholar, who will receive preferential housing close to the Clinical Congress site, will be expected to make his or her own travel arrangements.
Oweida Scholarship applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Serves a small town or rural community in the U.S. or Canada
• Is a Fellow or Associate Fellow in good standing
• Is younger than 55 years of age on the date the application is filed
The Oweida Scholar will attend the ACS Clinical Congress 2016 in Washington, DC, October 16–20. At the annual meeting of the Scholarships Committee and the Rural Surgeons Forum, the scholar will meet with colleagues and receive the scholarship check.
The Executive Committee of the Board of Governors will select the scholar. Oweida Scholarship applicants should submit a single PDF consisting of the following items in this order:
• A one-page essay, discussing the following specific items:
• Why the applicant wants to receive the Oweida Scholarship
• Why the applicant believes he or she is qualified to receive the scholarship
• Why the applicant characterizes his or her practice as serving a small community
• One copy of the applicant’s current curriculum vitae
A scholar and an alternate will be selected, and all applicants will be notified of the outcome of the selection process by February 1, 2016.
The Oweida Scholar must attend the full week of the Clinical Congress in the year for which the award is designated; use of scholarship may not be postponed. The Oweida Scholar will provide a brief report on his or her experiences at the Clinical Congress for possible future publication in the Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons. The scholar also must submit a simple accounting for the award. These items will be due December 1, 2016.
Send applications for this scholarship to Kate Early, Scholarships Administrator, at email@example.com, or mail to: Scholarships Sections, ACS, 633 N. Saint Clair St., Chicago, IL 60611-3211.
For more information, contact Ms. Early at 312-202-5281.