Items in the single-score PROMIS Fatigue Short Forms (SFs) demonstrate content validity and can adequately capture the wide range of fatigue experiences of people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), a recent study found. Researchers recruited people with RA from an online patient community (n=200) and 3 academic medical centers (n=84) in the US. Participants completed both SFs then rated the comprehensiveness and comprehensibility of the items to their fatigue experience. Researchers found:
- Mean SF scores were similar among clinic patients reflecting mild fatigue (ie, 54.5–55.9), but were significantly higher in online participants.
- SF Fatigue scores correlated highly (r ≥ 0.82) and moderately with patient assessments of disease activity (r ≥ 0.62).
- Most (70–92%) reported that the items “completely” or “mostly” reflected their experience.
- Almost all (≥ 94%) could distinguish general fatigue from RA fatigue.
- Most (≥ 85%) rated individual items questions as “somewhat” or “very relevant” to their fatigue experience, averaged their fatigue over the past 7 days (58%), and rated fatigue impact vs severity (72 vs 19%).
- 99% rated fatigue as an important symptom they considered when deciding how well their current treatment was controlling their RA.
Bartlett SJ, Gutierrez AK, Butanis A, et al. Combining online and in-person methods to evaluate the content validity of PROMIS fatigue short forms in rheumatoid arthritis. [Published online ahead of print May 24, 2018]. Qual Life Res. doi:10.1007/s11136-018-1880-x.
This Week's Must Reads
Diabetes, Abnormal Glucose Metabolism, and RKOA, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Rogers-Soeder, et al
Poor Sleep Quality and Fracture Risk Examined, J Bone Miner Res; ePub 2018 Nov 21; Cauley, et al
Screening for Cognitive Dysfunction Risk in SLE, Lupus; ePub 2018 Nov 27; Chalhoub, Luggen
Depression in African American Women with SLE, Lupus; ePub 2018 Nov 27; Jordan, Thompson, et al
Impact of Prescription Drugs on Fragility Fractures, Osteoporos Int; 2018 Dec; Munson, et al
Must Reads in Rheumatoid Arthritis
Lipid Screening Suboptimal in Patients with RA, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Nov 10; Navarro‐Millán, et al
Dashboard Platform May Empower Patients with RA, Patient Educ Couns; ePub 2018 Oct 28; Ragouzeos, et al
Susceptibility to RA in African Americans Examined, Hum Mol Genet; ePub 2018 Nov 13; Laufer, et al
Telomere Shortening, Elevated Oxidant Stress in RA, Clin Rheumatol; 2018 Dec; Gamal, Hammam, et al
Joint Tissue Inflammation Sequence in RA Development, Arthritis Res Ther; ePub 2018 Nov 21; ten Brinck, et al