Delays in initial disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) receipt for incident rheumatoid arthritis (RA) were common but time to treatment improved in recent years, according to a recent nationwide study. These recent findings suggest that limiting opioid use in patients newly presenting with RA may decrease delay in initiating DMARDs. Researchers used administrative data from the US military's TRICARE program (2007-2012). They quantified the time between RA presentation and initial DMARD receipt, evaluated temporal changes in delay over the study period, and investigated predictors of treatment delay (>90 days) using logistic regression. They found:
- 16,680 patients with incident RA that were prescribed DMARDs were identified and mean age was 47.2 (SD 13.5) years.
- The mean time from initial RA presentation to first DMARD prescription receipt was 125.3 days (SD 175.4).
- Over one-third (35.6%) of incident RA patients initiated DMARD >90 days after presentation.
- Patients prescribed opioids had mean time to DMARD of 212.8 days (SD 207.4) compared to mean of 77.3 days (SD 132.3) for those who did not use opioids.
- Patients prescribed opioids between RA presentation and initial DMARD receipt were more likely to have delay in initial DMARD.
Kimsey L, Weissman JS, Patel A, Drew A, Koehlmoos T, Sparks JA. Delay in initiation of DMARD or anti-inflammatory therapy in patients newly diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis: An analysis of United States military health system TRICARE beneficiaries. [Published online ahead of print July 18, 2018]. Semin Arthritis Rheum. doi:10.1016/j.semarthrit.2018.07.003.
This Week's Must Reads
Decreasing Trend of Age-Adjusted Mean BMD Observed, Osteoporos Int; ePub 2018 Aug 8; Xu, Wu
Pain Severity and Depression in Knee OA Examined, Osteoarthritis Cartilage; ePub 2018 Aug 6; Rathbun, et al
Smoking, Alcohol, and SLE Incidence Link Examined, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Aug 9; Cozier, et al
SLE Damage Compared in 2 Cohorts of Dominicans, Lupus; ePub 2018 Aug 9; Geraldino-Pardilla, et al
Resistance Training May Help Minimize Hip Bone Loss, J Bone Miner Res; ePub 2018 Aug 7; Beavers, et al
Must Reads in Rheumatoid Arthritis
Pain and Catastrophizing in Patients with RA, J Clin Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Jun 22; Cohen, et al
Delay in DMARD Initiation in Newly Diagnosed RA, Semin Arthritis Rheum; ePub 2018 Jul 18; Kimsey, et al
Fatigue an Overall Problem for Patients with RA, Rheumatol Int; ePub 2018 Jul 16; Walter, et al
Biological Agent Safety in Older vs Younger Patients, Semin Arthritis Rheum; ePub 2018 Jul 31; Dalal, et al
Higher Body Fat, Obesity in Women Linked with RA, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Jul 5; Linauskas, et al