Pre‐appointment consult screening is an effective method to identify patients with an autoimmune and inflammatory rheumatic disease (AIRD), a recent study found. Using data recorded in the electronic medical record, all new outpatient rheumatology consults sent during a 9-month period were retrospectively analyzed for final diagnosis and revenue generation for routine outpatient care over 1 year following consult review or initial evaluation. Researchers found:
- A total of 961 consults were received and underwent pre‐appointment triage.
- Overall, 673 consults were approved for AIRD evaluation and 288 consults were declined to be seen.
- Patients were seen an average of 13 days after consult review.
- Of approved consults, 597 came for evaluation with 357 diagnosed as having an AIRD and 240 with a non‐AIRD.
- Of the declined consults, 128 had 1-year follow up data with 6 patients eventually diagnosed as having an AIRD (consult triage sensitivity 98%, positive predictive value 60%).
- The consult triage system allowed more AIRD patients to be seen over a 1-year period.
West SG, Pearson DW, Striebich CC, Goecker R, Kolfenbach JR. The effect of pre‐appointment consult triage on patient selection and revenue generation in a university rheumatology practice. [Published online ahead of print July 12, 2018]. Arthritis Care Res. doi:10.1002/acr.23701.
This Week's Must Reads
>50% of Arthritis Sufferers Not Being Treated, J Clin Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Sep 18; Theis, et al
Patients with SSc and Pulmonary Hypertension Risk, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Oct 1; Hsu, Chung, et al
Varus Thrust Linked with Worsening Knee Pain, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Sep 22; Wink, et al
Does Exercise Contribute to Radiographic Worsening?, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Jayabalan, et al
Significance of Patient-Reported Symptoms of Knee OA, Osteoarthritis Cartilage; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Berlinberg, et al
Must Reads in Practice Management
Effect of Pre-Appointment Consult Triage Evaluated, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Jul 12; West, et al
Dedicated Lupus Clinics Offer Better Care Quality, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Apr 2; Arora, et al
Patient-Physician Assessments and Quality of Life , RMD Open; ePub 2017 Oct 25; Karpouzas, et al
Can Patient Navigators Improve Adherence to DMARDs?, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2017 Jun 2; Feldman, et al
First EHR Algorithm Will Help Identify SLE Patients, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2017 Apr 10; Barnado, et al