Osteoarthritis (OA) was associated with significant incremental health care resource utilization, expenditures, absenteeism, and absenteeism costs, a recent study found. Researchers used the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS) for 2011 as data source. Individuals aged ≥18 years and employed during 2011 were eligible for inclusion in the sample for analyses. Of the total sample, 1,354 were diagnosed with OA, and compared to non-OA individuals. They found:
- Regression models revealed incremental mean annual resource use associated with OA of 0.07 hospitalizations, equal to 70 additional hospitalizations per 100 osteoarthritic patients annually, and 3.63 outpatient visits, equal to 363 additional visits per 100 osteoarthritic patients annually.
- Mean annual incremental total expenditures associated with OA were $2,046.
- Annually, mean incremental expenditures were largest for inpatient expenditures at $826, followed by mean incremental outpatient expenditures of $659, and mean incremental medication expenditures of $325.
- Mean annual incremental absenteeism was 2.2 days and mean annual incremental absenteeism costs were $715.74.
- Total direct expenditures were estimated at $41.7 billion.
Menon J, Mishra P. Health care resource use, health care expenditures and absenteeism costs associated with osteoarthritis in US healthcare system. [Published online ahead of print December 18, 2017]. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. doi:10.1016/j.joca.2017.12.007.
This Week's Must Reads
Obesity, Weight Loss Linked with Disability in RA, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Apr 29; Baker, et al
RA Clinic Visits Lack Documented BP Communication, J Clin Rheumatol; ePub Apr 24; Bartels, Johnson, et al
Mechanisms and Clinical Effects of Bone Loss in RA, Calcif Tiss Int; 2018 May; Shim, Stavre, et al
No Link: Exposure to Passive Smoking and RA Risk, Ann Rheum Dis; ePub 2018 May 3; Hedström, et al
THR/TKR Rates, and bDMARDs in Patients with RA, Ann Rheum Dis; 2018 May; Cordtz, Hawley, et al
Must Reads in Osteoarthritis
Obesity and Late-Life Mobility Issues Post-Surgery, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Apr 25; Shadyab, et al
GJH More Common in Whites than African Americans, Arthritis Res Ther; ePub 2018 Apr 18; Flowers, et al
Diabetes, Accelerated Cartilage Degeneration Linked, Osteoarthritis Cartilage; ePub 2018 Mar 29; Neumann, et al
Pain and Functional Trajectories for Knee OA Found, Osteoarthritis Cartilage; 2018 April; Lee, Harvey, et al
Insomnia, Sleep Apnea Common in Veterans with OA, BMC Musculoskelet Disord; ePub 2018 Mar 9; Taylor, et al