Data from the Manhattan Lupus Surveillance Program (MLSP) revealed disparities in primary Sjögren’s Syndrome (pSS) incidence and prevalence by sex among Manhattan residents and differences in pSS incidence by race/ethnicity among women. This according to a recent study that also found that these data provided epidemiologic estimates for the major racial/ethnic populations in the US. MLSP cases were identified from hospitals, rheumatologists, and population databases. 3 case definitions were used for pSS: physician diagnosis, rheumatologist diagnosis, and modified pSS criteria. Rates among Manhattan residents were age‐adjusted, and capture‐recapture analyses were conducted to assess case under‐ascertainment. Researchers found:
- By physician diagnosis, age‐adjusted overall incidence and prevalence rates of pSS among adult Manhattan residents were 3.5 and 13.1 per 100,000 person‐years.
- Capture‐recapture adjustment increased incidence and prevalence rates (4.1 and 14.2).
- Based on physician diagnosis, incidence and prevalence rates were approximately 6 times higher among women than men.
- Incidence of pSS was statistically higher among non‐Latina Asian (10.5) and non‐Latina white women (6.2) compared with Latina women (3.2).
- Incidence was also higher among non‐Latina Asian women compared with non‐Latina black women (3.3).
Izmirly PM, Buyon JP, Wan I, et al. The incidence and prevalence of adult primary Sjögren's Syndrome in New York County. [Published online ahead of print July 25, 2018]. Arthritis Care Res. doi:10.1002/acr.23707.
This Week's Must Reads
Burden of Sexual Dysfunction in Women with RA, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Sep 1; Puchner, et al
Medication Beliefs, Self-Efficacy Examined in RA, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Sep 15; McCulley, et al
Physical Activity Maintenance in Patients with RA, J Rheumatol; 2018 Aug; Nordgren, Fridén, et al
Effects of Flares in RA with Low Disease Activity, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Sep 1; Bechman, et al
RF and ACPAs Observed as Markers for Clinical RA, Clin Immunol; 2018 Oct; Lingampalli, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Statins and Systemic Autoimmune Rheumatic Disease, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Sep 1; Jorge, Lu, et al
Patients with Diabetes Perform Worse after TKA, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Aug 29; Cheuy, et al
Lower vBMD, T2D Increased Mortality in Black Men , Osteoporos Int; 2018 Sep; Lenchik, Register, et al
Bariatric Surgery in Those with Knee OA Deemed Safe, Osteoarthritis Cartilage; ePub 2018 Aug 1; Gong, et al
Gout Associated with Hearing Loss in Older Adults, BMC Open; ePub 2018 Aug 20; Singh, Cleveland