Patients with sarcoidosis have an increased risk of fragility fracture, which is primarily driven by the higher incidence of distal forearm fracture, according to a recent study. This study was conducted using a previously identified population-based cohort of 345 patients with incident sarcoidosis from Olmsted County, Minnesota. Sex- and age-matched subjects randomly selected from the same underlying population were used as comparators. Medical records of cases and comparators were reviewed for baseline characteristics and incident fragility fracture. Researchers found:
- Fragility fractures were observed in 34 patients with sarcoidosis, corresponding to a cumulative incidence of 5.6% at 10 years, while 18 fragility fractures were observed among comparators for a cumulative incidence of 2.4% at 10 years.
- The hazard ratio (HR) of fragility fractures among cases compared with comparators was 2.18.
- The risk of fragility fracture by site was significantly higher among patients with sarcoidosis and was due to a higher rate of distal forearm fracture (HR 3.58).
- Statistically non-significant increased risk was also observed in proximal femur (HR 1.66) and proximal humerus (HR 3.27).
- Risk of vertebral fracture was not increased (HR 1.00).
Ungprasert P, Crowson CS, Matteson EL. Risk of fragility fracture among patients with sarcoidosis: A population-based study 1976–2013—supplementary presentation. Osteoporos Int. 2018;29(5):1201. doi:10.1007/s00198-017-4074-4.
This Week's Must Reads
Inverse U-Shaped Link Between CRP, Systolic BP in RA, Arthritis Res Ther; 2018 Jun 1; Yu, Kim, Vanni, et al
Exercise Linked with Protective CV Risk in RA , J Clin Rheumatol; 2018 ePub May 25; Byram, et al
No Link Between Coffee Consumption and Incident RA, J Clin Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Apr 19; Lamichhane, et al
PROMIS Forms Capture Fatigue Experience in RA, Qual Life Res; ePub 2018 May 24; Bartlett, et al
MBDA Score Independently Predictive of Relapsing RA, PLoS One; ePub 2018 May 23; Moghadam, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Fragility Fracture Risk Linked with Sarcoidosis, Osteoporos Int; 2018 May; Ungprasert, et al
Renal Transplants Improve Survival in ESRD-GPA, Ann Rheum Dis; ePub 2018 May 14; Wallace, et al
Cognitive Impairment Linked with Hip Fracture Risk, J Bone Miner Res; ePub 2018 May 7; Diem, et al
Lean Mass, Muscle Strength and Power, in Older Men, J Bone Miner Res; ePub 2018 Apr 27; Chalhoub, et al
Obesity and Late-Life Mobility Issues Post-Surgery, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Apr 25; Shadyab, et al