Dominican patients in New York City (NYC) with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) had a higher Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics/American College of Rheumatology Damage Index (SDI) than those in the Dominican Republic (DR). This according to a recent study that evaluated SLE disease burden in 2 Dominican communities, Washington Heights in NYC and Santiago in the DR. Disease activity (SLE Disease Activity Index 2000 [SLEDAI-2K]) and SDI were cross-sectionally measured in 76 Dominican SLE patients from the Columbia University Lupus Cohort in NYC and compared with 75 Dominican SLE patients living in Santiago. Researchers found:
- Disease activity was mild in both groups (SLEDAI-2K of 3 in NYC vs 4 in the DR).
- NYC Dominicans had more discoid lesions, positive anti-dsDNA, and anti-SSB antibodies.
- Dominicans in the DR used more corticosteroids, had less medical insurance, lower educational level, and were more likely to be unemployed, whereas more Dominicans in NYC smoked.
- NYC patients had a higher SDI compared with SLE patients in the DR (0.96 vs 0.24).
- Statistical significance was maintained in adjusted analysis (1.26 vs 0.57).
Geraldino-Pardilla L, Kapoor T, Canto I, et al. Damage accrual in systemic lupus erythematosus in Dominicans in New York City and the Dominican Republic. [Published online ahead of print August 9, 2018]. Lupus. doi:10.1177%2F0961203318791764.
This Week's Must Reads
Ability to Pay and Shared Decision Making in RA, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Oct 28; Binder-Finnema, et al
Patient vs Clinician Attitudes Toward RA Treatment, Arthritis Care Res; 2018 Nov; Barton, Hulen, et al
Autoantibody Profile May Help Specify Early RA, Arthritis Rheumatol; 2018 Nov; Verheul, et al
RA Disease Activity and Sick Leave Examined, Arthritis Care Res; 2018 Nov; Olofsson, et al
Clinical Assessment vs Patient Experience in RA, Arthritis Care Res; 2018 Oct; Kvrgic, et al
Must Reads in Lupus & Connective Tissue Diseases
Frequent ED Utilization Among Persons with SLE, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Oct 8; Lee, Lin, et al
Child-Onset SLE, Myopericardial Incidences Linked, Lupus; ePub 2018 Oct 14; Chang, Xiao, et al
Pesticide Exposure Linked to SLE Risk in Black Women, Lupus; ePub 2018 Oct 11; Williams, Chang, et al
Patients with SSc and Pulmonary Hypertension Risk, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Oct 1; Hsu, Chung, et al
Improving Vaccination Rates in Patients with SLE, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Sep 1; Garg, Tsagaris, et al