Dominican patients in New York City (NYC) with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) had a higher Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics/American College of Rheumatology Damage Index (SDI) than those in the Dominican Republic (DR). This according to a recent study that evaluated SLE disease burden in 2 Dominican communities, Washington Heights in NYC and Santiago in the DR. Disease activity (SLE Disease Activity Index 2000 [SLEDAI-2K]) and SDI were cross-sectionally measured in 76 Dominican SLE patients from the Columbia University Lupus Cohort in NYC and compared with 75 Dominican SLE patients living in Santiago. Researchers found:
- Disease activity was mild in both groups (SLEDAI-2K of 3 in NYC vs 4 in the DR).
- NYC Dominicans had more discoid lesions, positive anti-dsDNA, and anti-SSB antibodies.
- Dominicans in the DR used more corticosteroids, had less medical insurance, lower educational level, and were more likely to be unemployed, whereas more Dominicans in NYC smoked.
- NYC patients had a higher SDI compared with SLE patients in the DR (0.96 vs 0.24).
- Statistical significance was maintained in adjusted analysis (1.26 vs 0.57).
Geraldino-Pardilla L, Kapoor T, Canto I, et al. Damage accrual in systemic lupus erythematosus in Dominicans in New York City and the Dominican Republic. [Published online ahead of print August 9, 2018]. Lupus. doi:10.1177%2F0961203318791764.
This Week's Must Reads
Inflammation and Estimated CV Risk in RA, Arthritis Rheumatol; 2018 Sep; Yu, Yang, et al
Women with RA, JIA at Risk for Preterm Delivery , Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Aug 21; Smith, et al
Fatigue and Physical Capacity Link in RA Examined, Rheumatol Int; ePub 2018 Aug 29; Demmelmaier, et al
Rheum4U Web-Based Tool Proves Efficacious, Clin Exp Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Aug 29; Barber, et al
Depression is Risk Factor for Development of RA, RMD Open; 2018 Jul 11; Vallerand, Lewinson, et al
Must Reads in Lupus & Connective Tissue Diseases
Statins and Systemic Autoimmune Rheumatic Disease, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Sep 1; Jorge, Lu, et al
Patient-reported Outcomes Predict Mortality in SLE , Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Aug 24; Azizoddin, et al
Arthritis Helplessness Index Valid Measure for SLE, Lupus; ePub 2018 Aug 15; Gholizadeh, et al
Smoking, Alcohol, and SLE Incidence Link Examined, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Aug 9; Cozier, et al
SLE Damage Compared in 2 Cohorts of Dominicans, Lupus; ePub 2018 Aug 9; Geraldino-Pardilla, et al