Patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) persistently utilizing the emergency department (ED) for pain are likely to be non‐critically ill, as evidenced by frequent discharges from the ED and short stay admissions, a recent study found. Researchers conducted a retrospective study of SLE patients who frequented the ED for ≥3 visits in a calendar year from 2013‐2016. Persistent users met criteria for frequent use for at least 2 out of the 4 years, and limited users for 1 out of the 4 years. They found:
- 77 participants having 1,143 encounters as persistent users were identified, as well as 52 participants having 335 encounters as limited users.
- Persistent users accounted for 77% of ED use by SLE patients who frequented the ED.
- Pain‐related ED visits were more common among persistent users (32%) than limited users (18%).
- Among persistent users, most pain‐related encounters were discharged from the ED (69%) or within 48 hours of admission (20%).
- Persistent users with pain‐related encounters accounting for >10% of ED use were more likely to be obese, have fewer comorbid conditions, and be on long-term oxygen therapy.
Lee J, Lin J, Suter LS, Fraenkel L. Persistently frequent emergency department utilization among persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. [Published online ahead of print October 8, 2018]. Arthritis Care Res. doi:10.1002/acr.23777.
This Week's Must Reads
NSAIDs Linked with Increased Stress Fracture Risk, J Bone Miner Res; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Hughes, et al
Knee Pain and Physical Activity Preference Examined, Osteoarthritis Cartilage; ePub 2018 Oct 15; Pinto, et al
Age at Menarche Linked to Osteoporosis Etiology, Bone; 2018 Dec; Zhang, Greenbaum, Zhang, et al
Link Found Between Viral Pathogens and Arthritis, Int J Rheumatol; 2018 Oct 1; Shmagel, et al
Diabetics Show Accelerated Knee Joint Degeneration, Skeletal Radiol; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Neumann, et al
Must Reads in Lupus & Connective Tissue Diseases
Frequent ED Utilization Among Persons with SLE, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Oct 8; Lee, Lin, et al
Child-Onset SLE, Myopericardial Incidences Linked, Lupus; ePub 2018 Oct 14; Chang, Xiao, et al
Pesticide Exposure Linked to SLE Risk in Black Women, Lupus; ePub 2018 Oct 11; Williams, Chang, et al
Patients with SSc and Pulmonary Hypertension Risk, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Oct 1; Hsu, Chung, et al
Improving Vaccination Rates in Patients with SLE, J Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Sep 1; Garg, Tsagaris, et al