Data from the Manhattan Lupus Surveillance Program (MLSP) revealed disparities in primary Sjögren’s Syndrome (pSS) incidence and prevalence by sex among Manhattan residents and differences in pSS incidence by race/ethnicity among women. This according to a recent study that also found that these data provided epidemiologic estimates for the major racial/ethnic populations in the US. MLSP cases were identified from hospitals, rheumatologists, and population databases. 3 case definitions were used for pSS: physician diagnosis, rheumatologist diagnosis, and modified pSS criteria. Rates among Manhattan residents were age‐adjusted, and capture‐recapture analyses were conducted to assess case under‐ascertainment. Researchers found:
- By physician diagnosis, age‐adjusted overall incidence and prevalence rates of pSS among adult Manhattan residents were 3.5 and 13.1 per 100,000 person‐years.
- Capture‐recapture adjustment increased incidence and prevalence rates (4.1 and 14.2).
- Based on physician diagnosis, incidence and prevalence rates were approximately 6 times higher among women than men.
- Incidence of pSS was statistically higher among non‐Latina Asian (10.5) and non‐Latina white women (6.2) compared with Latina women (3.2).
- Incidence was also higher among non‐Latina Asian women compared with non‐Latina black women (3.3).
Izmirly PM, Buyon JP, Wan I, et al. The incidence and prevalence of adult primary Sjögren's Syndrome in New York County. [Published online ahead of print July 25, 2018]. Arthritis Care Res. doi:10.1002/acr.23707.
This Week's Must Reads
Examining Brain Correlates of Clinical Pain in RA, Arthritis Care Res; 2019 Feb; Lee, Fine, et al
Obesity/Weight Loss Linked to Mortality Risk in RA, Clin Exp Rheumatol; ePub 2019 Jan 18; Baker, et al
Study Does Not Back MRI-Guided Treatment Strategy, JAMA; ePub 2019 Feb 5; Møller-Bisgaard, et al
Remission Frequency and LDA in Patients with RA, Semin Arthritis Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Dec 28; Scott, et al
Comparison of Risk Calculators for CV Disease in RA, J Rheumatol; 2019 Feb; Wahlin, Innala, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Smoking, Obesity Link with Sjögren Syndrome Gauged, J Rheumatol; ePub 2019 Jan 15; Servioli, Maciel, et al
Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis and Mental Health, J Shoulder Elbow Surg; ePub 2018 Dec 12; Kohan, et al
RA and Mortality in End Stage Renal Disease, J Clin Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Dec 5; Paudyal, et al
Gout Independently Linked with Dementia in Elderly, BMC Geriatr; ePub 2018 Nov 14; Singh, Cleveland
Diabetes, Abnormal Glucose Metabolism, and RKOA, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Rogers-Soeder, et al