In a cohort of axial spondyloarthritis (SpA) patients, hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is more prevalent than in the general population (9.1% vs 0.053–4.1%), according to a recent study. Furthermore, HS is associated with female gender, lower quality of life (QOL), and especially higher axial SpA disease activity. A self-screening questionnaire based on validated diagnostic HS questions was sent to all participating axial SpA patients. Self-reported HS symptoms were confirmed by previous medical diagnosis or verification by phone using highly specific validated questions. Researchers found:
- In total, 75.6% (449/592) questionnaires were eligible for analyses.
- Included patients had a mean age of 50±13 years, 64% were male, mean symptom duration was 23±13 years, and 79% were HLA-B27 positive.
- HS diagnosis could be confirmed in 41 patients, resulting in an estimated prevalence of 9.1%.
- In comparison to patients without a positive history of HS, these patients were more often female (54% vs 35%), showed higher axial SpA disease activity, and worse QOL.
- Also, a history of heel enthesitis and dactylitis was more prevalent (34% vs 19%, and 15% vs 6%, respectively).
Rondags A, Arends S, Wink FR, Horváth B, Spoorenberg A. High prevalence of hidradenitis suppurativa symptoms in axial spondyloarthritis patients: A possible new extra-articular manifestation. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2019;48(4):611-617. doi:10.1016/j.semarthrit.2018.03.010
This Week's Must Reads
Treating Patients with RA Who Have Cancer, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2019 Mar 1; Lopez-Olivo, et al
Impact, Timing of Smoking Cessation on RA Risk, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2019 Feb 21; Liu, et al
HLA-DRB1 Haplotypes and RA Disease Outcomes, J Rheumatol; ePub 2019 Mar 1; Zhao, Mauer, et al
Myocardial Inflammation and Disease Activity in RA , Arthritis Rheumatol; ePub 2019 Feb 28; Amigues, et al
Multibiomarker Disease Activity Testing for RA , J Rheumatol; 2019 Mar; Curtis, Xie, Yang, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Behçet’s Disease Common in the American Southwest, Semin Arthritis Rheum; ePub 2019 Mar 9; Muruganandam, et al
Hidradenitis Suppurativa Common in Patients with SpA, Semin Arthritis Rheum; 2019 Feb; Rondags, Arends, et al
Long-term Opioid Use with Severe OA by Geography, Arthritis Rheumatol; ePub 2019 Jan 28; Desai, et al
Sleep Quality, Sleep Disorders in People with Gout, Arthritis Res Ther; ePub 2019 Jan 25; Singh
Smoking, Obesity Link with Sjögren Syndrome Gauged, J Rheumatol; ePub 2019 Jan 15; Servioli, Maciel, et al