Patients with sarcoidosis have an increased risk of fragility fracture, which is primarily driven by the higher incidence of distal forearm fracture, according to a recent study. This study was conducted using a previously identified population-based cohort of 345 patients with incident sarcoidosis from Olmsted County, Minnesota. Sex- and age-matched subjects randomly selected from the same underlying population were used as comparators. Medical records of cases and comparators were reviewed for baseline characteristics and incident fragility fracture. Researchers found:
- Fragility fractures were observed in 34 patients with sarcoidosis, corresponding to a cumulative incidence of 5.6% at 10 years, while 18 fragility fractures were observed among comparators for a cumulative incidence of 2.4% at 10 years.
- The hazard ratio (HR) of fragility fractures among cases compared with comparators was 2.18.
- The risk of fragility fracture by site was significantly higher among patients with sarcoidosis and was due to a higher rate of distal forearm fracture (HR 3.58).
- Statistically non-significant increased risk was also observed in proximal femur (HR 1.66) and proximal humerus (HR 3.27).
- Risk of vertebral fracture was not increased (HR 1.00).
Ungprasert P, Crowson CS, Matteson EL. Risk of fragility fracture among patients with sarcoidosis: A population-based study 1976–2013—supplementary presentation. Osteoporos Int. 2018;29(5):1201. doi:10.1007/s00198-017-4074-4.
This Week's Must Reads
No Protective Effect Found in Fish Intake in RA, BMC Musculoskelet Disord; 2019 Jan 5; Sparks, et al
Exercise Response Compared in RA and Prediabetes, Arthritis Res Ther; 2018 Dec 27; Andonian, et al
Clinical Outcomes After Hip Arthroscopy in RA, Arthroscopy; ePub 2019 Jan 3; Ashberg, et al
Frequency of Remission, Low Disability in RA Studied, Semin Arthritis Rheum; ePub 2018 Dec 28; Scott, et al
Effects of Exercise on Older Adults with RA, Arthritis Care Res; 2019 Jan; Lange, et al
Must Reads in Osteoporosis
Study: Veterans Affairs DXA Testing Ineffective, Mayo Clin Proc; 2018 Dec; Colón-Emeric, et al
US, Canadian Osteoporosis Screening Compared, J Bone Miner Res; ePub 2018 Dec 7; Crandall, et al
Poor Sleep Quality and Fracture Risk Examined, J Bone Miner Res; ePub 2018 Nov 21; Cauley, et al
Impact of Prescription Drugs on Fragility Fractures, Osteoporos Int; 2018 Dec; Munson, et al
Overuse of Osteoporosis Pharmacotherapy Evaluated , Arch Osteoporosis; 2018 Sep 28; Hall, Wright, et al