Dominican patients in New York City (NYC) with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) had a higher Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics/American College of Rheumatology Damage Index (SDI) than those in the Dominican Republic (DR). This according to a recent study that evaluated SLE disease burden in 2 Dominican communities, Washington Heights in NYC and Santiago in the DR. Disease activity (SLE Disease Activity Index 2000 [SLEDAI-2K]) and SDI were cross-sectionally measured in 76 Dominican SLE patients from the Columbia University Lupus Cohort in NYC and compared with 75 Dominican SLE patients living in Santiago. Researchers found:
- Disease activity was mild in both groups (SLEDAI-2K of 3 in NYC vs 4 in the DR).
- NYC Dominicans had more discoid lesions, positive anti-dsDNA, and anti-SSB antibodies.
- Dominicans in the DR used more corticosteroids, had less medical insurance, lower educational level, and were more likely to be unemployed, whereas more Dominicans in NYC smoked.
- NYC patients had a higher SDI compared with SLE patients in the DR (0.96 vs 0.24).
- Statistical significance was maintained in adjusted analysis (1.26 vs 0.57).
Geraldino-Pardilla L, Kapoor T, Canto I, et al. Damage accrual in systemic lupus erythematosus in Dominicans in New York City and the Dominican Republic. [Published online ahead of print August 9, 2018]. Lupus. doi:10.1177%2F0961203318791764.
This Week's Must Reads
Examining Brain Correlates of Clinical Pain in RA, Arthritis Care Res; 2019 Feb; Lee, Fine, et al
Obesity/Weight Loss Linked to Mortality Risk in RA, Clin Exp Rheumatol; ePub 2019 Jan 18; Baker, et al
Study Does Not Back MRI-Guided Treatment Strategy, JAMA; ePub 2019 Feb 5; Møller-Bisgaard, et al
Remission Frequency and LDA in Patients with RA, Semin Arthritis Rheumatol; ePub 2018 Dec 28; Scott, et al
Comparison of Risk Calculators for CV Disease in RA, J Rheumatol; 2019 Feb; Wahlin, Innala, et al
Must Reads in Lupus & Connective Tissue Diseases
Measurement Tools for Patients with SSc and GERD, J Rheumatol; 2019 Jan; McMahan, Frech, et al
Independent Contributors to Fatigue in SLE, Lupus; ePub 2018 Dec 22; Azizoddin, et al
Predictors of Disease Activity, Quiescence in SLE, Lupus Sci Med; ePub 2018 Nov 2; Giannakou, et al
Disease Course Patterns Studied in Patients with SLE, Lupus; ePub 2018 Dec 8; Tselios, Gladman, et al
Screening for Cognitive Dysfunction Risk in SLE, Lupus; ePub 2018 Nov 27; Chalhoub, Luggen