Complex walking, as assessed by the walking while talking (WWT) task, is a simple and pragmatic tool for assessing risk of developing dementia, especially for vascular dementia (VaD) in older adults, according to a recent study. Researchers prospectively studied the associations of WWT performance at baseline with risk of developing incident dementia in 1,156 older adults (mean age 78.28±5.27, 60.7% female) enrolled in the Einstein Aging Study. They found:
- Over a median follow-up of 1.90 years, 85 participants developed incident dementia (53 Alzheimer dementia [AD] and 26 VaD).
- 3 gait domains were derived using principal component analysis.
- Only variability, which loaded heavily for swing time standard deviation (SD) and step time SD, was associated with an increased risk of incident dementia per 1-point increase and VaD after adjusting for demographics, disease burden, mental status and normal walking velocity.
- Amongst 8 individual gait variables, only swing time variability was associated with increased risk for both incident dementia and VaD.
- Variability and swing time SD were not significantly associated with risk of incident AD.
Ceïde ME, Ayers EI, Lipton R, Verghese J. Walking while talking and risk of incident dementia. [Published online ahead of print January 3, 2018]. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. doi:10.1016/j.jagp.2017.12.009.
This Week's Must Reads
Measuring Psychotic-like Experiences in Childhood , JAMA Psychiatry; ePub 2018 Jun 6; Karcher, et al
Can Birth Season Predict ADHD in Early Midlife?, Psychiatry Res; ePub 2018 Jun 6; Zhang, et al
Being Denied an Abortion and Suicidal Ideation, Am J Psychiatry; ePub 2018 May 24; Biggs, et al
The Significance of Psychosis in BD, Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disord; ePub 2018 May 18; Bowie, et al
Public Perception of Female Fertility Examined, Arch Sex Behav; 2018 Jul; Jensen, Martins, et al
Must Reads in Alzheimer's & Cognition
Widowhood a Risk Factor for Cognitive Decline, Am J Geriatr Psychiatry; ePub 2018 Mar 26; Shin, et al
Caregivers of PLWDs at Risk for Sleep Disturbances, Am J Geriatr Psych; ePub 2018 Feb 4; Polenick, et al
Study: Goal-driven Life Reduces Dementia Risk, Int J Geriatr Psych; ePub Jan 3; Sutin, et al
Walking While Talking and Incident Dementia Risk, Am J Geriatr Psychiatry; ePub 2018 Jan 3; Ceïde, et al
CVD, Late-Life Depression, Dementia Link Examined, Am J Geriatr Psychiatry; ePub 2017 Nov 20; Armstrong, et al