Neos Therapeutics, Inc., has announced that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Adzenys ER (amphetamine) extended-release oral suspension for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in patients aged ≥6 years. Neos Therapeutics is headquartered in Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas.
Indications: Adzenys ER is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant indicated for the treatment of ADHD) in patients aged ≥6 years.
Pediatric patients (aged 6 to 17 years):
- Starting dose is 6.3 mg (5 mL) once daily in the morning.
- Maximum dose is 18.8 mg (15 mL) for patients 6 to 12 years, and 12.5 mg (10 mL) once daily for patients 13 to 17 years.
Adults: 12.5 mg (10 mL) once daily in the morning.
- Pediatric patients aged 6 to 12 years: Most common adverse reactions were loss of appetite, insomnia, abdominal pain, emotional lability, vomiting, nervousness, nausea, and fever.
- Pediatric patients aged 13 to 17 years: Adverse reactions included loss of appetite, insomnia, abdominal pain, weight loss, and nervousness.
- Adults: Adverse reactions included dry mouth, loss of appetite, insomnia, headache, weight loss, nausea, anxiety, agitation, dizziness, tachycardia, diarrhea, asthenia, and urinary tract infections.
Neos Therapeutics receives US FDA approval of Adzenys ER (amphetamine) extended-release oral suspension for the treatment of ADHD in patients 6 years and older. [news release]. Dallas and Fort Worth, TX: Neos Therapeutics, Inc. September 15, 2017. https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/09/15/1123438/0/en/Neos-Therapeutics-Receives-U-S-FDA-Approval-of-Adzenys-ER-amphetamine-Extended-Release-Oral-Suspension-for-the-Treatment-of-ADHD-in-Patients-6-Years-and-Older.html. Accessed September 25, 2017.
This Week's Must Reads
Inflammatory Diet Linked with Depressive Symptoms, J Affect Disord; ePub 2018 Apr 3; Shivappa, et al
Schizotypes and Social Cognition Task Performance , Psychiatry Res; ePub 2018 Apr 4; Pflum, Gooding
Loss of Control Eating and Metabolic Syndrome, Int J Eat Disord; ePub 2018 Apr 1; Shank, et al
Consanguineous Parents, Psychopathology of Progeny, JAMA Psychiatry; ePub 2018 Apr 4; Maguire, et al
Pornography Use and Relationship Satisfaction, J Sex Res; ePub 2018 Mar 26; Maas, et al
Must Reads in ADHD
FDA Approves ADHD Drug for Patients 6 and Older, Neos Therapeutics news release; 2017 Sep 15
ADHD, CU Traits Markers for Conduct Problems, Psychiatry Res; ePub 2017 Sep 5; Babinski, et al
FDA Approves Cotempla XR-ODT for ADHD Patients 6-17, Neos Therapeutics, Inc. news release; 2017 Jun 19
Mydayis Approved for Patients 13 and Older with ADHD, Shire plc news release; 2017 Jun 20
FDA Approves First Generic Strattera for ADHD, FDA news release; 2017 May 30