In this episode, Dr. Vincent DeLeo discusses artificial intelligence (AI) with Dr. Babar Rao, beginning at 10:12. Cognitive computing, which mimics human thought processes to analyze data, can be used along with other advances in AI to support clinical decision-making and physician-patient interactions. Where is dermatology in this world of AI? Dr. Rao discusses clinical scenarios in which AI can be implemented to improve patient outcomes, including hair transplantation and skin cancer evaluation. He also forecasts the future of AI in dermatology.
We also bring you the latest in dermatology news and research:
2. Teletriage connects uninsured with timely dermatologist care, plus an interview with study investigator Cory Simpson, MD, PhD, a dermatologist at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. The study was presented at the World Congress of Dermatology.
Things you will learn in this episode:
- Cognitive computing not only processes data but makes sense out of the data from multiple perspectives, including human-computer interactions, vision, and language processing.
- Computer-aided robots can be used to maximize outcomes in hair transplantation.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) software can be used to analyze biopsy slides to help make skin cancer diagnoses.
- Electronic medical records allow physicians to input patient data, which can be helpful from a billing and insurance standpoint, but these systems currently are not able to support physicians in making clinical decisions or in choosing treatment plans based on the available patient data.
- Over the next 10 years, it will become common for clinical decisions to be made based on evidence and data gathered from AI systems and not from research articles or textbooks alone.
Hosts: Elizabeth Mechcatie; Terry Rudd; Vincent A. DeLeo, MD (Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles)
Guest: Babar Rao, MD (Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey)
Show notes by Alicia Sonners, Melissa Sears, and Elizabeth Mechcatie.
You can find more of our podcasts at http://www.mdedge.com/podcasts.
Email the show: email@example.com
Interact with us on Twitter: @MDedgeDerm