Contact us: email@example.com
And Ilana Yurkiewicz, MD, begins part 1 of her look at informed consent.
By Hitomi Hosoya, MD, PhD
Resident in the department of internal medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System
- One in five cancer patients develops venous thromboembolism (VTE).
- The Khorana scoring system was developed and validated to stratify the VTE risk in cancer patients. The score is determined by the type of cancer, complete blood counts, and BMI.
- The CASSINI trial was aimed at determining the efficacy of oral factor Xa inhibitor for thromboprophylaxis in ambulatory patients with cancer who had a Khorana score of 2 or greater and were initiating chemotherapy.
- In total, 4.5% of the potential cohort had deep vein thrombosis (DVT) at screening ultrasound and were excluded from the study.
- The trial showed that rivaroxaban led to a substantially lower incidence of VTE, compared with the placebo group during the intervention period.