Buprenorphine is important for the treatment of opioid use disorder, but pediatric exposure can result in serious adverse outcomes, according to a recent study. In order to investigate buprenorphine exposures among children and adolescents aged ≤19 years in the US, researchers analyzed data from calls to US poison control centers for 2007–2016 from the National Poison Data System. They found:
- From 2007 to 2016, there were 11,275 children and adolescents aged ≤19 years exposed to buprenorphine reported to US poison control centers.
- Most exposures were among children aged <6 years (86.1%), unintentional (89.2%), and to a single substance (97.3%).
- For single-substance exposures, children aged <6 years had greater odds of hospital admission and of serious medical outcome than adolescents 13 to 19 years old.
- Adolescents accounted for 11.1% of exposures; 77.1% were intentional (including 12.0% suspected suicide), and 27.7% involved multiple substances.
- Among adolescents, the odds of hospital admission and a serious medical outcome were higher for multiple-substance exposures than single-substance exposures.
Post S, Spiller HA, Casavant MJ, Chounthirath T, Smith GA. Buprenorphine exposures among children and adolescents reported to US poison control centers. [Published online ahead of print June 25, 2018]. Pediatrics. doi:10.1542/peds.2017-3652.
This Week's Must Reads
Outpatient Utilization Patterns for AD in the US, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 15; Singh, et al
Racial Disparities in Healthcare Utilization for AD, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 13; Wan, et al
Sleep Disturbances in Mothers of Children with AD, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 20; Ramirez, et al
Childhood AD in the Primary Care Setting, J Am Board Fam Med; 2019 Mar-Apr; Al-Naqeeb, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
AD Linked with Impaired Sleep in Children, JAMA Pediatrics; ePub 2019 Mar 4; Ramirez, et al
Link Found Between AD, Depression, Suicidal Ideation , J Am Acad Dermatol; 2019 Feb; Patel, et al
Association Between AD and Mental Health Disorders, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Dec 18; Hsu, Smith, et al
Water Fluoridation and Income-Related Dental Caries, JAMA Pediatrics; ePub 2019 Jan 28; Sanders, et al