Recent findings highlight a new vulnerable younger population at risk for self-inflicted injuries. Researchers analyzed data from the Nationwide Emergency Department Sample (NEDS) database for the years 2008 to 2013 to characterize deliberate self-harm among children and adolescents presenting to an emergency department (ED) in the US. All ED visits for patients aged ≤19 years involving any self-inflicted injuries were selected. They found:
- 594,658 ED visits involving self-harm were identified.
- The majority of patients were female (65.8%), and between ages 16 and 19 years (62.6%).
- Most were treated and released from the ED (44.9%).
- The most common mechanisms involved injury by cutting/piercing instruments (26.4%) or poisoning by analgesics or antipyretics (21.5%).
- There was a decrease in ED visits involving 16 to 19 year olds (−8%), and an increase in visits involving 13 to 15 year olds (+45%), 11 to 12 year olds (+94%), and ≤10 year olds (16%).
McCluskey CK, Allareddy V, Rampa S, Allareddy V, Rotta AT. Characterization of suicide and deliberate self-harm among children in the United States. [Published online ahead of print October 19, 2018]. Clin Pediatr. doi:10.1177%2F0009922818806313.
This Week's Must Reads
Report Card Release, Link to Child Abuse Examined, JAMA Pediatrics; ePub 2018 Dec 17; Bright, et al
Serial Newborn Screening for Hypothyroidism, J Pediatr; ePub 2018 Dec 20; Kaluarachchi, et al
Pediatric Telephone Advice and Language Barriers , Clin Pediatr; ePub 2018 Dec 5; Watts, Hajjar, et al
Antipsychotic Treatment Risk in Children and Youths , JAMA Psychiatry; ePub 2018 Dec 12; Ray, Stein, et al
NAFLD Prevalent in Children with Obesity, J Pediatr; ePub 2018 Dec 14; Yu, et al
Must Reads in Adolescent Medicine
Prevalence of Obesity, MetS by Geographic Region, Pediatr Obes; ePub 2018 Dec 4; DeBoer, et al
Provider Recommendation, HPV Vaccine Receipt Linked, J Pediatr; ePub 2018 Nov 15; Lu, Yankey, et al
E-Cigarette Use and Subsequent Smoking Assessed, Pediatrics; ePub 2018 Nov 5; Barrington-Trimis, et al
Disparities, CV Risk Factors Among Adolescents, Pediatrics; ePub 2018 Oct 17; Jackson, et al
Targeting Youth at Risk for Self-Inflicted Injuries, Clin Pediatr; ePub 2018 Oct 19; McCluskey, et al