Renal cell carcinomas (RCCs) were more apt to be reported as unspecified histology in community programs than in other program types, researchers concluded after conducting an analysis involving nearly 300,000 RCCs. Participants were from the National Cancer Database and diagnosed with RCC between 1998 and 2014. Investigators examined proportions of RCC with unspecified vs specific histologies, and assessed the impact facility type had on these proportions. Among the results:
- Over the course of the study, the portion of histologically unspecified RCC decreased dramatically in all facility types.
- It decreased from 86% to 28% in community programs (the smallest drop).
- It went from 85% to 10% in NCI-designated centers (the largest decrease).
- Compared with community programs, RCCs were 21% less likely to be reported as unspecified histology in comprehensive community programs.
- They were 32% less likely to be reported as such in both integrated network and academic programs, and 63% less likely in NCI-designated programs.
- Proportions of papillary, clear cell, and chromophobe RCC cases increased.
Gansler T, Fedewa S, Amin M, Lin C, Jemal A. Trends in reporting histological subtyping of renal cell carcinoma: Association with cancer center type. [Published online ahead of print January 12, 2018]. Hum Pathol. doi:10.1016/j.humpath.2018.01.010.
This Week's Must Reads
Does Integrated Delivery Treatment Impact Cost? , J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 13; Kaye, Min, et al
Anticancer Agent Dose Rounding Cost Impact Assessed, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 5; Fahrenbruch, et al
Employment in Patients with Early-Stage BC Studied , Cancer; ePub 2018 Feb 13; Ekenga, Pérez, et al
Program’s Impact on CRC Screening in Uninsured , Cancer; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Eberth, Thibault, et al
Charting the Landscape of Oncology Pathway Vendors , J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Daly, Zon, et al
Must Reads in Renal Cell Carcinoma
Predicting RCC Outcomes After Surgery , Eur Urol; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Leibovich, et al
Partial vs Radical Nephrectomy Impact on Survival , Eur Urol Focus; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Marchioni, et al
Robotic Partial Nephrectomy for Large Renal Masses , BJU Int; ePub 2018 Jan 22; Delto, Paulucci, et al
Trends Examined in the Reporting of RCC Subtypes, Hum Pathol; ePub 2018 Jan 12; Gansler, et al
VEGFR Therapy’s Role in Reducing RCC Progression , Curr Med Res Opin; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Tannir, et al