A specific enzyme appears to predict renal cell carcinoma death risk better than existing methods, according to an analysis involving nearly 2,000 individuals. It seems to be particularly accurate in low- and intermediate-risk tumors. Investigators looked at the impact tumor-based enhancer of zeste homolog 2 (EZH2) gene and protein expression had on overall survival in participants from 3 cohorts. Among the results:
- Patients from the Cancer Genome Atlas with EZH2-high gene expression were 50% more likely to experience overall death than those with low expression.
- Overall death risk in the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center cohort was twice as high as those with low expression.
- It was 40% higher in the Mayo Clinic cohort.
- Patients in the Mayo group with EZH2-high protein expression were twice as likely to experience RCC-specific death.
- EZH2 protein expression was particularly prognostic in patients with low-risk tumors.
Ho T, Kapur P, Eckel-Passow J, et al. Multicenter validation of enhancer of zeste homolog 2 expression as an independent prognostic marker in localized clear cell renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35(32):3706-3713. doi:10.1200/JCO.2017.73.3238.
This Week's Must Reads
Does Integrated Delivery Treatment Impact Cost? , J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 13; Kaye, Min, et al
Anticancer Agent Dose Rounding Cost Impact Assessed, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 5; Fahrenbruch, et al
Employment in Patients with Early-Stage BC Studied , Cancer; ePub 2018 Feb 13; Ekenga, Pérez, et al
Program’s Impact on CRC Screening in Uninsured , Cancer; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Eberth, Thibault, et al
Charting the Landscape of Oncology Pathway Vendors , J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Daly, Zon, et al
Must Reads in Renal Cell Carcinoma
Predicting RCC Outcomes After Surgery , Eur Urol; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Leibovich, et al
Partial vs Radical Nephrectomy Impact on Survival , Eur Urol Focus; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Marchioni, et al
Robotic Partial Nephrectomy for Large Renal Masses , BJU Int; ePub 2018 Jan 22; Delto, Paulucci, et al
Trends Examined in the Reporting of RCC Subtypes, Hum Pathol; ePub 2018 Jan 12; Gansler, et al
VEGFR Therapy’s Role in Reducing RCC Progression , Curr Med Res Opin; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Tannir, et al