A score-based model can predict which patients are at risk of cisplatin-associated acute kidney injury (C-AKI), according to a study involving >2,100 individuals. Participants received cisplatin between 2000 and 2016 at 2 cancer centers. Investigators created a scoring model from a development cohort and determined how well it worked in a validation cohort. Among the results:
- Patients in their 7th decade of life were 64% more likely to experience C-AKI than those who were aged ≤60 years.
- Those in their eighth decade of life were nearly 3 times more likely to experience such.
- Patients receiving a 101-150 mg dose of cisplatin were 58% more likely to experience C-AKI than those who received ≤100 mg.
- Those who received >150 mg were nearly 4 times more likely to experience such.
- Patients with hypertension were twice as likely as those without to experience C-AKI.
- Those with serum albumin 2.0 to 3.5 g/dL were more than twice as likely to experience such, vs those with levels >3.5 g/dL.
Motwani S, McMahon G, Humphreys B, Partridge A, Waikar S, Curhan G. Development and validation of a risk prediction model for acute kidney injury after the first course of cisplatin. [Published online ahead of print January 10, 2018]. J Clin Oncol. doi:10.1200/JCO.2017.75.7161.
This Week's Must Reads
PFS superior with avelumab and axitinib in advanced RCC, Motzer RJ et al. ESMO 2018. Abstract LBA6_PR
Adjuvant axitinib may benefit highest risk RCC patients, Quinn DI et al. Ann Oncol. 2018 Oct 20. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdy454
High KPNA2 signals poor outcomes for RCC, Kristiansen G et al. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2018 Oct 22. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2018.10.008
RCC patient and disease characteristics differ by race/ethnicity, Batai K et al. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2018 Oct 26. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2018.10.012
Change in tumor burden signals treatment needs in mRCC, Bimbatti D et al. Urol Oncol. 2018 Oct 6. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2018.08.018
Must Reads in Preventive Care
Predicting Acute Kidney Injury Risk from Cisplatin , J Clin Oncol; ePub 2018 Jan 10; Motwani, et al
ASCO Guideline on Alcohol Consumption and Cancer, J Clin Oncol; 2018 Jan; LoConte, Brewster, et al
Cochrane on Corticosteroids for Nausea, Vomiting, Cochrane; 2017 Jul 3; Vayne-Bossert, et al
Cochrane Evaluates Efficacy of Cancer Pain Meds, Cochrane; 2017 Jul 6; Wiffen, et al/Jul 12; Derry, et al/Jul 12; Wiffen, et al
Do Genomic Testing Cancer Risk Results Alter Behavior?, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2016 Dec 12; Gray, et al