Human papillomavirus (HPV) tests are less likely to miss cases of precancerous cervical changes, yet they lead to more unnecessary referrals, according to a Cochrane review of 40 studies involving more than 140,000 women. Among the findings:
- For every 1,000 women screened, around 20 will have precancerous changes.
- The HPV test will correctly identify 16 and miss 4 of these women.
- The Pap test will identify 12 and miss 8 women.
- For every 1,000 women screened, 980 will not have precancerous changes.
- The HPV test will correctly identify 879 women, but 101 will be incorrectly told that they have a lesion.
- The Pap test will correctly identify 951 women, but 29 will be incorrectly told that they have a lesion.
Koliopoulos G, Nyaga V, Santesso N, et al. Cytology versus HPV testing for cervical cancer screening in the general population. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2017, Issue 8. Art. No.: CD008587. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD008587.pub2.
This Week's Must Reads
Estimated conditional OS shows upfront TKI benefit in mRCC, Kang M et al. J Urol. 2018 June 22. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2018.06.030
Indolent course found in rare clear cell papillary RCC , Chen W-J et al. J Chinese Med Assoc. 2018 July 20 doi: 10.1016/j.jcma.2018.04.005
Study: Clear cell papillary RCC has indolent course, Chen W-J et al. J Chinese Med Assoc. 2018 July 20 doi: 10.1016/j.jcma.2018.04.005
Some ccRCC subtypes associated with CT features, Bowen L, Xiaojing L. Acad Radiol. 2018 Jul 29. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2018.05.002
GAG measurements offer prognostic info for RCC, Gatto F et al. Eur Urol Oncol. 2018 Jun 13. doi: 10.1016/j.euo.2018.04.015
Must Reads in Gynecologic Cancer
CD8+ Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Ovarian Ca, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2017 Oct 12; OTTA Consortium
Lymph Node Removal During Endometrial Ca Surgery, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 2; Frost, Webster, et al
Cochrane on Reducing Neoplasia in Molar Pregnancy, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Wang, Fu, Hu, et al
FDA Approves First Biosimilar to Treat Cancer, FDA news release; 2017 Sep 14
HPV vs Pap Test for Cervical Cancer Screening, Cochrane; 2017 Aug 10; Koliopoulos, Nyaga, et al