Liquid biopsy can be used to predict metastatic breast cancer prognosis, according to a retrospective study involving 91 individuals. Participants had locally advanced and metastatic breast cancer. Investigators tallied circulating tumor cells (CTCs), performed plasma-based assay, and analyzed survival rates. Among the results:
- 84 patients had stage IV cancer; the remainder had no metastases.
- 80 patients had CTC analysis.
- 84% of blood samples had mutations.
- The most commonly mutated genes: TP53, PIK3CA, and ERBB2.
- 4 in every 10 patients had died by the time of analysis.
- Progression-free survival was 4.2 months for CTCs and 5.2 months for ctDNA.
- Overall survival was 18.7 and 21.5 months, respectively.
- There was a statistically significant difference in progression-free and overall survival for baseline CTCs <5 (vs ≥5); % ctDNA <0.5 (vs ≥0.5); and number of alterations (<2 vs ≥2).
Rossi G, Mu Z, Rademaker A, et al. Cell-free DNA and circulating tumor cells: Comprehensive liquid biopsy analysis in advanced breast cancer. [Published online ahead of print November 27, 2017]. Clin Cancer Res. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-17-2092.
This Week's Must Reads
Does Integrated Delivery Treatment Impact Cost? , J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 13; Kaye, Min, et al
Anticancer Agent Dose Rounding Cost Impact Assessed, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 5; Fahrenbruch, et al
Employment in Patients with Early-Stage BC Studied , Cancer; ePub 2018 Feb 13; Ekenga, Pérez, et al
Program’s Impact on CRC Screening in Uninsured , Cancer; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Eberth, Thibault, et al
Charting the Landscape of Oncology Pathway Vendors , J Oncol Pract; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Daly, Zon, et al
Must Reads in Breast Cancer
FDA Approves Lynparza for Certain Types of BC, FDA news release; 2018 Jan 12
Stereotactic Radiotherapy System Approved For BC, FDA news release; 2017 Dec 22
Perjeta Approved for Certain Type of Early BC, Genentech news release; 2017 Dec 20
Do Women with BC Use Their Pain Meds Correctly?, J Pain Symptom Manage; ePub 2017 Dec 5; Stephenson, et al
Immediate Breast Reconstruction Likelihood Studied, Clin Breast Cancer; ePub 2017 Dec 6; Reddy, et al