A small percentage of women were at risk from reported travel to Zika virus-affected areas, with those traveling from heavily affected areas most at risk for infection, a recent study found. These results were from a large prenatal Zika screening program at a single center health care system from March 14 through October 1, 2016, that included 14,161 pregnant women (predominantly Hispanic) screened for travel to a Zika-affected country. Researchers found:
- 610 (4.3%) women reported travel; test results were available in 547.
- Evidence of possible Zika virus infection was found in 29 (5.3%) women.
- 4% were at risk from reported travel with only 2 in 1,000 infected.
- There was no significant difference in obstetric or neonatal morbidities among women with or without evidence of possible Zika virus infection.
- Similarly, there was no difference in mean head circumference of infants born to women with positive vs negative Zika virus testing.
Adhikari EH, Nelson DB, Johnson KA, et al. Infant outcomes among women with Zika virus infection during pregnancy: Results of a large prenatal Zika screening program. [Published online ahead of print January 30, 2017]. Am J Obstet Gynecol. doi:10.1016/j.ajog.2017.01.018.
This Week's Must Reads
ACOG Offers Guidance on Management of GDM, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Feb; ACOG, Turrentine
Effect of Hormone Therapy on Incident Hypertension , Menopause; ePub 2018 Jan 29; Swica, et al
Interest in OTC Access to Progestin-Only Pills, Women’s Health Issues; ePub 2018 Jan 29; Grindlay, et al
Missed Breast Cancers in High Risk MRI Screening, Breast Cancer Res Treat; ePub 2018 Jan 31; Vreemann, et al
ACOG Recommendations: Fatigue and Patient Safety, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Feb; ACOG, Gregg
Must Reads in Zika
Assessment of Fetuses & Infants Infected with Zika, Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jan 15; Cortes, et al
Updated Zika Guidance for Pregnant Women, MMWR; ePub 2017 Jul 24; Oduyebo, et al
Evaluating Zika Virus Risk in Pregnancy, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2017 May 5; Rao, Gaw, et al
Infant Outcomes in Women with Zika During Pregnancy, Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2017 Jan 30; Adhikari, et al
Birth Defects and US Women with Zika Virus , JAMA; ePub 2016 Dec 15; Honein, Dawson, et al