A history of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is not associated with increased hot flash symptoms during the midlife period, a recent study found. 780 women aged 45 to 54 years from the Midlife Women’s Health Study were included and completed questionnaires on hot flash symptoms. They were screened for history of PCOS between June 2014 and March 2015. Researchers found:
- 453 (69%) consented to the telephone interview and 42 (9.3%) met diagnostic criteria for PCOS; 411 were included as controls.
- Mean age 48 years; body mass index 27.3; 72% were white.
- There was no difference between PCOS and control women for levels of follicle-stimulating hormone, testosterone, progesterone, or estradiol.
- PCOS was not associated with increased odds of hot flash incidence.
- Smoking was the lone variable associated with experiencing hot flashes.
Yin O, Zacur HA, Flaws JA, Christianson MS. Association between polycystic ovary syndrome and hot flashes presentation during the midlife period. [Published online ahead of print January 22, 2018]. Menopause. doi:10.1097/GME.0000000000001055.
This Week's Must Reads
Second-Stage Duration & Outcomes After Prior CD, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Feb 5; Hehir, et al
Antihypertensive Med Use to Treat Preeclampsia, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Feb 5; Cleary, et al
Self-Reporting Hormonal Contraceptive Use & HIV, Contraception; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Pyra, et al
Cancer Tx and Infertility Risk in Women with PCOS, Fertil Steril; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Shandley, et al
ACOG Offers Guidance on Management of GDM, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Feb; ACOG, Turrentine
Must Reads in Menopause
Effect of Hormone Therapy on Incident Hypertension , Menopause; ePub 2018 Jan 29; Swica, et al
Impact of PCOS on Menopausal Symptoms Evaluated, Menopause; ePub 2018 Jan 22; Yin, et al
Trends in Estrogen Use Among US Women, Menopause; ePub 2017 Dec 28; Weissfeld, et al
CV and Metabolic Morbidity After Hysterectomy, Menopause; ePub 2017 Dec 28; Laughlin-Tommaso, et al
USPSTF Guidelines for HT in Postmenopausal Women, JAMA; 2017 Dec 12; US Preventive Services Task Force