Low rates of confirmed maternal Zika virus infection were observed in women with potential Zika virus exposure; however, concern persisted among both patients and physicians regarding possible perinatal Zika virus infection. The longitudinal observational study from January to August 2016 from a single perinatal referral center included patients who traveled to or had sexual contact with a person who traveled to a region with documented local Zika virus transmission. Researchers found:
- 185 pregnant women with potential Zika virus were evaluated.
- 123 (67%) patients reported insect bites and 19 (10%) patients reported symptoms.
- 5 (3%) patients had prenatal ultrasound findings suggestive of possible fetal Zika virus infection; however, all tests were negative.
- Of the 153 Zika virus screening tests ordered, 8 (5%) immunoglobulin M results returned positive or equivocal with only 1 positive through confirmatory testing.
- Overall, 1 of 185 (0.5%) of all those consulted and 1 of 153 (0.7%) of those tested had a confirmed Zika virus infection with no confirmed fetal or neonatal infections.
Rao R, Gaw SL, Han CS, Platt LD, Silverman NS. Zika risk and pregnancy in clinical practice. [Published online ahead of print May 5, 2017]. Obstet Gynecol. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000002049.
This Week's Must Reads
VTE risk for continuous cycle oral contraceptives, Li J et al. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 Oct 1. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.4251
Long-Acting Opioid Use During Delivery Hospitalizations, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Duffy, et al
Provider Counseling in Hormonal Contraception, Contraception; ePub 2018 Sep 15; Craig, et al
Weight Gain & Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Dude, et al
Vitamin D Levels and Ovarian Reserve, Fertil Steril; 2018 Sep; Shapiro, Darmon, et al
Must Reads in Zika
Assessment of Fetuses & Infants Infected with Zika, Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jan 15; Cortes, et al
Updated Zika Guidance for Pregnant Women, MMWR; ePub 2017 Jul 24; Oduyebo, et al
Evaluating Zika Virus Risk in Pregnancy, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2017 May 5; Rao, Gaw, et al
Infant Outcomes in Women with Zika During Pregnancy, Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2017 Jan 30; Adhikari, et al
Birth Defects and US Women with Zika Virus , JAMA; ePub 2016 Dec 15; Honein, Dawson, et al