Beginning in the first trimester, mean platelet counts decreased during pregnancy in all women in a recent evaluation of women who delivered at Oklahoma University Medical Center between 2011 and 2014. The platelet counts were compared with those of nonpregnant women who were included in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from 1999 through 2012. Researchers found:
- Among the 15,723 deliveries that occurred during the study period, 7,351 women had sufficient data for the analyses.
- Of these women, 4,568 had uncomplicated pregnancies, 2,586 had pregnancy-related complications, and 197 had preexisting disorders associated with gestational thrombocytopenia.
- Among the women who had uncomplicated pregnancies, the mean platelet count in the first trimester was 251,000 per cubic millimeter, which was lower than the mean platelet count in the 8,885 nonpregnant women.
- Platelet counts of <150,000 per cubic millimeter at the time of delivery were more common among women with pregnancy-related complications than among women who had uncomplicated pregnancies.
- In women with a platelet count of <100,000 per cubic millimeter, a cause other than pregnancy or its complications should be considered.
Reese JA, Peck JD, Deschamps DR, et al. Platelet counts during pregnancy. N Engl J Med. 2018;379:32-43. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1802897.
This Week's Must Reads
ACOG: Well-Women Visits Can Minimize Health Risks, Obstet Gynecol; 2018 Oct; ACOG, et al
Gender Images & Social Expectations in BC Diagnosis, Cancer; ePub 2018 Sep 24; Kim, Glassgow, et al
Intended Pregnancy After Being Denied an Abortion, Contraception; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Upadhyay, et al
Opioid Prescribing After Surgery for Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg; ePub 2018 Sep 22; Leach, et al
VTE risk for continuous cycle oral contraceptives, Li J et al. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 Oct 1. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.4251
Must Reads in Obstetrics
Long-Acting Opioid Use During Delivery Hospitalizations, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Duffy, et al
Weight Gain & Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Dude, et al
Prophylactic Antibiotic Use in Labor & Delivery, Obstet Gynecol; 2018 Sep; Coleman, et al
Prevention of Obstetric Lacerations at Vaginal Delivery, Obstet Gynecol; 2018 Sep; Cichowski, et al
Opioid Prescribing After Cesarean Delivery, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Aug 4; Prabhu, et al