Black women aged ≥40 years are at increased relative risk for severe maternal morbidity and are at even higher risk for mortality, a recent study found. The retrospective cohort study used the Nationwide Inpatient Sample for the years 1998-2014. Women aged 40-54 years were included. Race and ethnicity were categorized as non-Hispanic white, non-Hispanic black, Hispanic, Asian, or Pacific Islander, Native American, other, or unknown. Among the findings:
- A total of 1,724,694 deliveries were included in the analysis.
- Severe maternal morbidity increased over the study period from 1.6% in 1998-2000 to 3.0% from 2013 to 2014.
- Black women had the highest rates of severe morbidity at both the beginning and end of the study.
- Pregnancy complications including preeclampsia, cesarean delivery, and gestational diabetes were more common at the end compared with the beginning of the study for black, white, and Hispanic women.
- The adjusted risk ratio for overall severe morbidity for black women (RR 4.71) and Hispanic women had more than twice the risk of death (RR 2.13) as white women.
Booker WA, Gyamfi-Bannerman C, Sheen J-J, et al. Maternal outcomes by race for women aged 40 years or older. [Published online ahead of print July 10, 2018]. Obstet Gynecol. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000002751.
This Week's Must Reads
ACOG: Well-Women Visits Can Minimize Health Risks, Obstet Gynecol; 2018 Oct; ACOG, et al
Gender Images & Social Expectations in BC Diagnosis, Cancer; ePub 2018 Sep 24; Kim, Glassgow, et al
Intended Pregnancy After Being Denied an Abortion, Contraception; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Upadhyay, et al
Opioid Prescribing After Surgery for Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg; ePub 2018 Sep 22; Leach, et al
VTE risk for continuous cycle oral contraceptives, Li J et al. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 Oct 1. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.4251
Must Reads in Obstetrics
Long-Acting Opioid Use During Delivery Hospitalizations, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Duffy, et al
Weight Gain & Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Dude, et al
Prophylactic Antibiotic Use in Labor & Delivery, Obstet Gynecol; 2018 Sep; Coleman, et al
Prevention of Obstetric Lacerations at Vaginal Delivery, Obstet Gynecol; 2018 Sep; Cichowski, et al
Opioid Prescribing After Cesarean Delivery, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Aug 4; Prabhu, et al