A history of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is not associated with increased hot flash symptoms during the midlife period, a recent study found. 780 women aged 45 to 54 years from the Midlife Women’s Health Study were included and completed questionnaires on hot flash symptoms. They were screened for history of PCOS between June 2014 and March 2015. Researchers found:
- 453 (69%) consented to the telephone interview and 42 (9.3%) met diagnostic criteria for PCOS; 411 were included as controls.
- Mean age 48 years; body mass index 27.3; 72% were white.
- There was no difference between PCOS and control women for levels of follicle-stimulating hormone, testosterone, progesterone, or estradiol.
- PCOS was not associated with increased odds of hot flash incidence.
- Smoking was the lone variable associated with experiencing hot flashes.
Yin O, Zacur HA, Flaws JA, Christianson MS. Association between polycystic ovary syndrome and hot flashes presentation during the midlife period. [Published online ahead of print January 22, 2018]. Menopause. doi:10.1097/GME.0000000000001055.
This Week's Must Reads
VTE risk for continuous cycle oral contraceptives, Li J et al. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 Oct 1. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.4251
Long-Acting Opioid Use During Delivery Hospitalizations, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Duffy, et al
Provider Counseling in Hormonal Contraception, Contraception; ePub 2018 Sep 15; Craig, et al
Weight Gain & Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Dude, et al
Vitamin D Levels and Ovarian Reserve, Fertil Steril; 2018 Sep; Shapiro, Darmon, et al
Must Reads in Menopause
Cardiac Autonomic Function in Midlife Women, Menopause; ePub 2018 Jun 18; Fu, et al
Vasomotor Symptoms in Older Women, Menopause; ePub 2018 May 7; David, et al
Estrogen-alone Therapy & Invasive Breast Cancer, Menopause; ePub 2018 May 7; Shufelt, et al
Vascular Dysfunction During Menopausal Transition, Menopause; ePub 2018 Apr 9; Hildreth, et al
Menopausal HT & Hyperkyphosis Prevention , Menopause; ePub 2018 Feb 16; Woods, et al