Laparoscopy emerged as the most common surgical approach for hysterectomy in the US between 2010 and 2013, with outpatient hysterectomy more common than inpatient among women with commercially based insurance. This according to a study that sought to quantify the increasing use of laparoscopy and outpatient hysterectomy and to describe the financial implications among women with commercially based insurance. A national dataset with inpatient and outpatient private insurance claims for >25 million women was used to identified hysterectomies during the study period. Researchers found:
- 386,226 women underwent hysterectomy between 2010 and 2013.
- Rate of utilization decreased 12.4% from 39.9 to 35.0 hysterectomies per 10,000 women.
- The proportion of laparoscopic hysterectomies increased from 26.1% to 43.4%, with concomitant decreases in abdominal, laparoscopic assisted vaginal, and vaginal hysterectomies.
- A shift from inpatient to outpatient surgery was also observed.
- In each year of analysis, the average reimbursement for outpatient procedures was 44-46% less than for similar inpatient procedures.
Morgan DM, Kamdar NS, Swenson CW, Kobernik EK, Sammarco AG, Nallamothu B. Nationwide trends in the utilization of and payments for hysterectomy in the United States among commercially insured women. [Published online ahead of print December 26, 2017]. Am J Obstet Gynecol. doi:10.1016/j.ajog.2017.12.218.
This Week's Must Reads
Making LARC Options Available for Adolescents , Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 May; Savage, et al
ACOG On Optimizing Postpartum Care, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 May; Stuebe, et al
Fertility Awareness Based Contraceptive Methods, Contraception; ePub 2018 Apr 25; Polis, et al
Estrogen-alone Therapy & Invasive Breast Cancer, Menopause; ePub 2018 May 7; Shufelt, et al
Cesarean Delivery Rates in the US , Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Apr 12; Hehir, et al
Must Reads in Gynecology
Trends in Utilization of Hysterectomy in US, Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2017 Dec 26; Morgan, et al
USPSTF Guidelines for HT in Postmenopausal Women, JAMA; 2017 Dec 12; US Preventive Services Task Force
ACOG Issues Tubal Ectopic Pregnancy Guidelines, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2017 Dec 6; ACOG
HPV Immunization Among Young Adult Women, Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2017 Dec 6; Oliveira, et al
Opioid Prescription & Use After Gynecologic Surgery, J Minim Invasive Gynecol; ePub 2017 Nov 14; Griffith, et al