Laparoscopy emerged as the most common surgical approach for hysterectomy in the US between 2010 and 2013, with outpatient hysterectomy more common than inpatient among women with commercially based insurance. This according to a study that sought to quantify the increasing use of laparoscopy and outpatient hysterectomy and to describe the financial implications among women with commercially based insurance. A national dataset with inpatient and outpatient private insurance claims for >25 million women was used to identified hysterectomies during the study period. Researchers found:
- 386,226 women underwent hysterectomy between 2010 and 2013.
- Rate of utilization decreased 12.4% from 39.9 to 35.0 hysterectomies per 10,000 women.
- The proportion of laparoscopic hysterectomies increased from 26.1% to 43.4%, with concomitant decreases in abdominal, laparoscopic assisted vaginal, and vaginal hysterectomies.
- A shift from inpatient to outpatient surgery was also observed.
- In each year of analysis, the average reimbursement for outpatient procedures was 44-46% less than for similar inpatient procedures.
Morgan DM, Kamdar NS, Swenson CW, Kobernik EK, Sammarco AG, Nallamothu B. Nationwide trends in the utilization of and payments for hysterectomy in the United States among commercially insured women. [Published online ahead of print December 26, 2017]. Am J Obstet Gynecol. doi:10.1016/j.ajog.2017.12.218.
This Week's Must Reads
Low-Dose Aspirin Use During Pregnancy, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jul; ACOG, SMFM
Postpartum Pain & Fatigue Management , Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jul; ACOG
Vaginal Preparation Before Cesarean Section, Cochrane Library; ePub 2018 Jul 17; Haas, et al
Maternal Outcomes by Race in Women Aged ≥40 Years, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jul 10; Booker, et al
Orilissa Approved for Pain Management of Endometriosis, AbbVie news release; 2018 July 24
Must Reads in Gynecology
Uterine Weight & Complications After Hysterectomy, Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jun 27; Louie, et al
New Persistent Opioid Use After Hysterectomy, Am J Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jun 18; Swenson, et al
Infection Prevention After Gynecologic Procedures, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jun; Soper, Chelmow, et al
Treatment Update for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 Jun; Legro, et al
Hysterectomy Performed by Very Low-Volume Surgeons, Obstet Gynecol; ePub 2018 May 7; Ruiz, et al