The prevalence of intracranial aneurysm in women diagnosed with fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) is significantly higher than reported in the general population, according to a recent study. This cross-sectional study included women with intracranial imaging registered in the US Registry for Fibromuscular Dysplasia, an observational disease-based registry of patients with FMD confirmed by vascular imaging and currently enrolled at 14 participating US academic centers. Researchers found:
- Of 1,112 female patients in the registry, 669 (60.2%) had undergone intracranial imaging at the time of enrollment (mean [SD] age at enrollment, 55.6 [10.9] years).
- Of the 669 patients included in the analysis, 86 (12.9%) had at least 1 intracranial aneurysm.
- Of these 86 patients, 25 (53.8%) had more than 1 intracranial aneurysm.
- Intracranial aneurysms ≥5 mm occurred in 32 of 74 patients (43.2%), and 24 of 128 intracranial aneurysms (18.8%) were in the posterior communicating or posterior arteries.
- A history of smoking was significantly associated with intracranial aneurysm: 42 of 78 patients with intracranial aneurysm (53.8%) had a smoking history vs 163 of 564 patients without intracranial aneurysm (28.9%).
Later HD, Gornik HL, Olin JW, et al. Prevalence of intracranial aneurysm in women with fibromuscular dysplasia. A report from the US Registry for Fibromuscular Dysplasia. [Published online ahead of print July 17, 2017]. JAMA Neurol. doi:10.1001/jamaneurol.2017.1333.
This Week's Must Reads
Body Image Dissatisfaction in Patients with MS, Int J MS Care; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Stevens, et al
Unemployment Linked with Stigma in MS, Int J MS Care; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Hategeka, et al
Total Hip, Knee Arthroplasty in Patients with MS, Int J MS Care; 2018 Sep-Oct; Gutman, et al
Intracerebral Hemorrhage in Multiple Sclerosis, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Zulfiger, et al
Assessment of CAT Version of Neuro-QOL for MS, Mult Scler; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Healy, et al
Must Reads in Neurosurgery & Trauma
Readmission Rates After Thrombectomy for Stroke , J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Jul 3; Ramchand, et al
Ischemic Stroke Risk After Trauma in Young Cohort, Neurology; ePub 2017 Nov 8; Fox, Hills, et al
Aneurysm Linked with Fibromuscular Dysplasia in Women, JAMA Neurol; ePub 2017 Jul 17; Lather, et al
High Rate of Revisions, Removals in DBS Surgery, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2016 Sep 12; Rolston, et al
Seizures and Periodic Discharges in Traumatic Brain Injury, Ann Neurol; ePub 2016 Feb 28; Vespa, Tubi, et al