Pubertal onset of multiple sclerosis (MS) may be associated with increased relapses in boys, a recent study found. Patients from the UCSF Regional Pediatric MS Center were included in this retrospective study. Age of disease onset was used to stratify patients into 3 groups approximating pubertal stage: age <11 years, between 11-14 years, and >14 years, corresponding to pre-, peri-, and post-puberty, respectively. Researchers found:
- 58 male pediatric patients with onset of relapsing-remitting MS before 18 years of age participated in the analyses (<11 onset, n=21; 11-14 onset, n=21; >14 onset, n=16).
- 60% of patients identified as white, and 43% as Hispanic.
- Median follow-up was 3.17 years (IQR 1.42-5.35).
- Univariate negative binomial regression models demonstrated a 2.4-fold increased relapse rate for boys with disease onset in the peri-puberty age group compared to the post-puberty age group (IRR = 2.43).
- Adjustments for race, ethnicity, and use of disease-modifying therapy did not change these results (IRR = 2.39).
- No differences in relapse rate between the pre-pubertal onset group and post-pubertal onset group were found.
Young B, Waubant E, Lulu S, Graves J. Puberty onset and pediatric multiple sclerosis activity in boys. [Published online ahead of print October 22, 2018]. Mult Scler Relat Disord. doi:10.1016/j.msard.2018.10.014.
This Week's Must Reads
Higher Cortisol Linked with Lower Brain Volume, Neurology; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Echouffo-Tcheugui, et al
Ischemic Stroke Transfers in the Northeastern US, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 30; Zachrison, et al
Predictors of Recurrent Hospitalizations Post-TIA, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 17; Yousufuddin, et al
Sleep Apnea Associated with Less Healthful Diet, Sleep; ePub 2018 Oct 22; Reid, Maras, Shea, et al
Hypertension, Obesity, Cognitive Decline Examined , Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Clark, et al
Must Reads in Multiple Sclerosis
No Link Between Overall Diet, MS Risk in Women, Mult Scler; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Rotstein, et al
Pubertal Onset of MS and Relapses in Boys, Mult Scler Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Oct 22; Young, et al
FLAIR Signal and Venous Abnormalities Linked in MS, AJNR Am J Neuroradiol; ePub 2018 Oct 18; Rogers, et al
Diabetes and Anxiety Affect Cognition in MS, Mult Scler Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Marrie, et al
Illness Intrusiveness on Intimacy in Persons with MS, Qual Life Res; 2018 ePub 2018 Oct 17; Neto, et al