The lack of correlation between headache disability and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pressure at baseline and at the end of the randomized phase of a recent study implies that headache in idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) may be related to factors other than intracranial hypertension, and that specific headache treatment is needed in addition to therapies directed at lowering CSF pressure. Researchers investigated relationships between headache disability and various other clinical characteristics at baseline and at 6 months. They found:
- Headache was present in 139 (84%) of the 165 enrollees at baseline.
- Headache was common, of varied character, disabling, and associated with poorer quality of life in patients with mild visual impairment.
- The most common headache phenotypes were migraine (52%), tension-type headache (22%), probable migraine (16%), and probable tension-type headache (4%).
- 51 (37%) participants overused symptomatic medications at baseline, most frequently simple analgesics.
- Headache disability was significantly associated with patient-reported quality of life in the physical, mental, and visual domains.
Friedman DI, Quiros PA, Subramanian PS, et al. Headache in idiopathic intracranial hypertension: Findings from the idiopathic intracranial hypertension treatment trial. [Published online ahead of print July 28, 2017]. Headache. doi:10.1111/head.13153.
This Week's Must Reads
Social Cognitive Theory and Physical Activity in MS, Int J MS Care; 2018 May/June; Uszynski, Casey, et al
Wheeled Mobility Device Intervention Found Feasible, Int J MS Care; 2018 May/June; Rice, Isaacs, et al
Somatic Symptoms of Depression/Anxiety in MS, Int J MS Care; 2018 May/June; Jones, Salem, et al
Turning: Important Marker of Gait and Balance in MS, PLoS One; ePub 2018 Jun 7; Adusumilli, Lancia, et al
Autonomic Dysfunction Compared in Patients with MS, Clin Neurophysiol; 2018 Aug; Adamec, Crnošija, et al
Must Reads in Headache & Migraine
Prevalence of Optic Nerve Head Edema in the ED, Neurology; ePub 2018 Jan 5; Sachdeva, et al
Association Between Migraine and Suicidal Behavior, Headache; ePub 2017 Nov 29; Friedman, Zhong, et al
Features of SAH Headache Are Distinct from Others, Headache; ePub 2017 Nov 4; Mac Grory, et al
Complementary/Alternative Drug Use for Headache, Headache; ePub 2017 Jul 25; Zhang, et al
Headache in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, Headache; ePub 2017 Jul 28; Friedman, Quiros, et al